- Robinho pulls off awesome skill in charity match [video]
- Man United move for “transfer listed” Nemanja Vidic [Star Sunday]
- John Terry (34) to get a new £175k-a-week one year Chelsea deal [Star & Express]
- Arsenal set for 20m William Carvalho bid [Mail on Sunday]
- West Ham may lose Big Sam after the season & Irons may sell 20% to pay off debt [Telegraph]
Ronaldo won’t like this! Real Madrid assistant coach Zinedine Zidane ‘would give the Ballon D’Or to Ribery’ [RMC]
Given the importance of Ballon D’Or ‘lobbying’ in recent years, Real Madrid assistant coach Zinedine Zidane’s overt choice for this years’ ultimate individual award probably won’t go down well in the Casa Blanca.
For context: Much of Cristiano Ronaldo’ ‘sadness’ at the beginning of last season was attributed to the lack of institutional support he was receiving in ensuring he was competing for the major individual awards; where the whole of FC Barcelona, both institutionally and the playing staff, put all their weight behind Messi, Ronaldo felt support for him has been more lukewarm within Madrid.
Either this slipped Zidane’s mind or he doesn’t care for protocol, because today he gave his full backing to compatriot Franck Ribery to win the award, in an interview with Luis Fernandez on French radio station RMC.
Asked to choose between Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery, Zizou surprisingly avoided diplomacy, and reasoned that Ribery should win, having won all three major trophies available to him with Bayern last season. ‘The problem’, he added, ‘is that there’s a guy who scored 55 goals…’
[gthumb id="363578" size="large" autoplay="1"]
- Updated: October 10, 2013