Ronaldo won’t like this! Real Madrid assistant coach Zinedine Zidane ‘would give the Ballon D’Or to Ribery’ [RMC]
- October 10, 2013
Given the importance of Ballon D’Or ‘lobbying’ in recent years, Real Madrid assistant coach Zinedine Zidane’s overt choice for this years’ ultimate individual award probably won’t go down well in the Casa Blanca.
For context: Much of Cristiano Ronaldo’ ‘sadness’ at the beginning of last season was attributed to the lack of institutional support he was receiving in ensuring he was competing for the major individual awards; where the whole of FC Barcelona, both institutionally and the playing staff, put all their weight behind Messi, Ronaldo felt support for him has been more lukewarm within Madrid.
Either this slipped Zidane’s mind or he doesn’t care for protocol, because today he gave his full backing to compatriot Franck Ribery to win the award, in an interview with Luis Fernandez on French radio station RMC.
Asked to choose between Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery, Zizou surprisingly avoided diplomacy, and reasoned that Ribery should win, having won all three major trophies available to him with Bayern last season. ‘The problem’, he added, ‘is that there’s a guy who scored 55 goals…’
[gthumb id=”363578″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...