Romelu Lukaku loses international hat-trick, Adnan Januzaj’s debut annulled as Belgium 5 – Luxembourg 1 voided
- June 4, 2014
Belgium’s 5-1 win over Luxembourg last May 26 has been nulled and voided, due to manager Marc Wilmots’ using of too many substitutes.
FIFA’s rules allow for 6 substitutes, while Wilmots unwittingly exceded the quota, using 7.
In an extremely arbitrary and fussy decision, Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku loses the hat-trick he scored that night, cutting his international goals tally from 9 back down to 6.
Spurs Nacer Chadli and former Chelsea player Kevin De Bruyne, the other scorers on the night, also lose their goals.
Every detail from the fixture has been formally erased from the records, which means Manchester United’s Adnan Janujaz will have to make his debut all over again.
Did 1 sub in a 5-1 rout make the blindest bit of difference to this game?!
Some fan footage of the goals on the night can be seen on the clips below.
[gthumb id=”429805″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
[gthumb id=”429811″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...