Romelu Lukaku loses international hat-trick, Adnan Januzaj’s debut annulled as Belgium 5 – Luxembourg 1 voided
- June 4, 2014
Belgium’s 5-1 win over Luxembourg last May 26 has been nulled and voided, due to manager Marc Wilmots’ using of too many substitutes.
FIFA’s rules allow for 6 substitutes, while Wilmots unwittingly exceded the quota, using 7.
In an extremely arbitrary and fussy decision, Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku loses the hat-trick he scored that night, cutting his international goals tally from 9 back down to 6.
Spurs Nacer Chadli and former Chelsea player Kevin De Bruyne, the other scorers on the night, also lose their goals.
Every detail from the fixture has been formally erased from the records, which means Manchester United’s Adnan Janujaz will have to make his debut all over again.
Did 1 sub in a 5-1 rout make the blindest bit of difference to this game?!
Some fan footage of the goals on the night can be seen on the clips below.
[gthumb id=”429805″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
[gthumb id=”429811″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
- Fail: US newspaper write up hilariously error-strewn report of Man United 3 – Bar...
- Man United’s Adnan Januzaj & Arsenal’s Aaron Ramsey feature in New Bal...
- James Wilson & Adnan Januzaj’s individual highlights from Man United 4 ̵...
- Adnan Januzaj stars as Man United U21’s beat Man CIty 4-0 in the mini derby [High...
- Adnan Januzaj scored a quality solo goal for Man United U21s v Man City [videos]
- Adnan Januzaj provides gorgeous assist for James Wilson goal for United U21s vs City [V...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi