Romelu Lukaku loses international hat-trick, Adnan Januzaj’s debut annulled as Belgium 5 – Luxembourg 1 voided
- June 4, 2014
Belgium’s 5-1 win over Luxembourg last May 26 has been nulled and voided, due to manager Marc Wilmots’ using of too many substitutes.
FIFA’s rules allow for 6 substitutes, while Wilmots unwittingly exceded the quota, using 7.
In an extremely arbitrary and fussy decision, Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku loses the hat-trick he scored that night, cutting his international goals tally from 9 back down to 6.
Spurs Nacer Chadli and former Chelsea player Kevin De Bruyne, the other scorers on the night, also lose their goals.
Every detail from the fixture has been formally erased from the records, which means Manchester United’s Adnan Janujaz will have to make his debut all over again.
Did 1 sub in a 5-1 rout make the blindest bit of difference to this game?!
Some fan footage of the goals on the night can be seen on the clips below.
[gthumb id=”429805″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
[gthumb id=”429811″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
- Van Gaal confirms that Januzaj is out of Swansea v Manchester United (Video)
- Everton close in on Man United forward Adnan Januzaj [Liverpool Echo]
- ‘Wait and see': Van Gaal refuses to rule out Januzaj loan after Aston Villa win (...
- ‘He had a lot of ball losses': Van Gaal critical of Januzaj despite scoring winni...
- Adnan Januzaj denies Sunderland loan, presents Daley Blind with MOTM Award (Video)
- Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal insists Adnan Januzaj is not for sale (Video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...