Roberto Martinez tells Man United: Ross Barkley is not for sale [video]
- December 31, 2013
Predictably, Everton boss Roberto Martinez was asked about the future of Ross Barkley in his pre-Stoke press conference on New Year’s Eve.
On Monday, a Manchester Evening News report claimed Manchester United would be bidding 50 million pounds for Everton starlet Ross Barkley.
Martinez immediately defused the question with a joke, saying “We don’t want anyone on loan in January!”
The Everton boss added: “He has a long-term contract and the first half of the season has been a real joy to see him grow and the second half of the season will be even better,” the Spaniard said. We are in a strong position financially. When you have to bring in money then it can be a real difficult position as you can be anxious and frustrated.”
Martinez continued: “The stability we have from a financial point of view allows us to make football decisions and this January window is important for us to make sure we kick on and finish stronger than we started.”
If Everton hold on to Barkley and Leighton Baines, and add a couple of players, Toffees supporters will be chuffed.
Manchester United meanwhile, might want to look at Yohan Cabaye, who has been terrific for Newcastle this season.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]