- An ugly bench clearing brawl stopped Tottenham’s U18s match v USA U17 early [Video]
- Ouch! Quini takes out his Rayo Vallecano coach with a two footed tackle v Espanyol [Video]
- Pochettino presser: Spurs boss delighted with 3 wins in a week, says Lamela needs time [video]
- Radamel Falcao’s wife celebrates Man United goal at Aston Villa on Instagram
- Double scoring Memphis Depay’s incredible PSV performance v Go Ahead Eagles [Individual highlights]
Rio Ferdinand roundly panned for co-founding ‘The Footies, The Oscars of the Industry’
Media mogul and footballer Rio Ferdinand has his hand in all the pies.
The highly entrepreneurial Man United defender is always on the lookout for a new niche to exploit, and believes he’s found his latest with the co-founding of ‘The Footies’, an annual awards ceremony for football, which he believes will become ‘The Oscars of the Industry’.
The show will be hosted by – surprise surprise – the ubiquitous James Corden, and will reward the Goal of the Year, Free-Kick of the Year, Game of the Year, Result of the Year, etcetera, etcetera.
The concept of yet another self-congratulatory ceremony has been pretty roundly panned in the blogosphere and on Twitter, with the Guardian’s Martina Hyde writing a particularly barbed and humourous piece today.
The Footies’ Twitter account hasn’t taken the scene by storm either, with a paltry 92 followers for 40 tweets; in fact they’re following more than they’re being followed, leaving Rio looking a bit Merk’d.
Below are the best Tweets panning ‘The Footies’.
Rio Ferdinand disappears even further up his own arse with his own football awards ceremony. http://t.co/TqXXzNmzMf
— The False 9 (@TheFalse_9) September 25, 2013
The big problem with football nowadays is that it doesn't have it's own awards ceremony. Hats off to Rio… http://t.co/kUNUoEpULH
— Patrick (@salop76) September 25, 2013
Reassuring to see that Rio Ferdinand's (godawful-sounding) "Footies" awards ceremony will be "star-studded": http://t.co/KN8uoT4jaZ
— Football Clichés (@FootballCliches) September 25, 2013
The new Football awards, The Footies http://t.co/BKfT2vT1iq Someone suggested earlier that "Tosscars" might be a better name for 'em
— Jim Burke (@BarcaJim) September 26, 2013
— The Footies (@thefooties) September 19, 2013
- Updated: September 26, 2013