Ridiculous! Burak Yilmaz will miss Real Madrid match as Galatasaray appeal is rejected
- April 9, 2013
This seems grossly unfair from UEFA…
In the hours before they face Real Madrid, one of the favourites to win the Champions League, 3-0 down from the first leg, Galatasaray have had their appeal to play goal scorer supreme Burak Yilmaz rejected.
The Turkish hitman received a yellow card in the first leg at the Bernabeu, that at the time looked very harsh from referee Svein Moen.
As we wrote last week, the incident was a triple whammy for Galatasaray who were denied a clear penalty (and possible subsequent away goal) and lost Yilmaz, who was previous to the quarter-final first leg top goal scorer in the competition, for tonight’s match.
How did UEFA not see sense with the video evidence at the bottom of this article?
The Galatasaray appeal suggested Yilmaz should not have been booked for simulation as Ramos stepped on his foot, which is plain to see.
In addition, Sergio Ramos and Xabi Alonso have been cleared of picking up deliberate bookings to ensure they are yellow card free for the semi-finals.
On Yilmaz, after Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s ban was halved so he could face Barcelona, Galatasaray could justly wonder whether the bigger and richer teams in the Champions League are treated differently by UEFA.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...