- Cristiano Ronaldo struggles to stay awake during statue unveiling [Video]
- James Rodriguez’s & Radamel Falcao’s Fathers played together for Deportes Tolima in 1987
- Pirloesque! Bastian Schweinsteiger’s stunning free-kick v Mainz [Video]
- Liverpool fan after Arsenal draw: ‘Flamini should have been sent off!’ [Video]
- Manchester United players make fans’ dreams come true at Christmas Foundation [Video]
Ridiculous! Acosta & Silva (Lanus) booked for fireman hat celebration v Estudiantes
Football is, above all else, a game. Spectators come to stadiums such as the Estadio Ciudad de Lanús to be entertained.
We have long since rallied against the rule that sees players booked for taking off their shirts in celebration of a goal.
After all, the whole point of the Beautiful Game is to score a goal – elaborate celebrations only add to the spectacle and should be encouraged rather than stamped out.
As a result, the video below shows up modern football in a pretty sad light and we are generally interested for an explanation of referee Andres Merlos’ actions.
Lanus and Estudiantes played out a 1-1 draw in Argentina’s Primera Division on Monday night.
Estudiantes took the lead on 2 minutes, with a goal combining comical defending and an acrobatic overhead kick (see 2nd video below) before Lanus equalised eight minutes later.
Lautaro Acosta equalised and celebrated with Santiago Silva by pulling out some fireman hats from the dugout.
Looks to us to have been a fine idea with a genuinely good excuse to highlight one of the most important professions in society.
Then Merlos got involved and became a kill joy. Ridiculous!
[gthumb id="345971" size="large" autoplay="1"]
- Updated: August 20, 2013