- Jim White hosts The Alternative Football Awards 2014 [442oons Video]
- Zinedine Zidane: The day I was asked to join Real Madrid was one of the happiest of my life [Vogue]
- The Wealdstone Raider reckons he could take on David Silva but ‘would run miles’ from Roy Keane [Video]
- An extensive look at Bayern Munich’s magnificent stadium, the Allianz Arena [Video]
- The top ten players in Serie A this season [Copa 90 Video]
Rennes qualify to the league cup final, 1000s of fans storm the pitch in wild celebrations
French football fans have been getting out of their seats and onto the pitch repeatedly this week.
In a week of league cup football, St Etienne and Rennes both qualified to the Coupe De La Ligue final in the past few days. Les Verts had a nervy shootout win over Lille, while on Wednesday night Rennes beat Montpellier 2-0.
On both occasions fans of the victors reacted in identical fashion. Thousands upon thousands of supporters ran onto the pitch in mass, euphoric pitch invasions. (See a picture of the St Etienne scenes here.)
Rennes’ post match celebrations were particularly interesting for all Premier League fans who have read headlines linking Yann M’Vila to their clubs.
M’Vila, who many wonder if he is worth all the talk that he generates, was completely immersed in the joyous winning atmosphere, and with his shirt long gone and waving a Rennes flag France’s TV anchor managed to get an interview with the international midfielder.
M’Vila: “Only God knows [if I am leaving Rennes]. Currently, I’m enjoying myself here. We are in the final, we’ve had the heart to put on a good run to the league cup final. It’s done.”
This is the first time Rennes have ever reached the Coupe De La Ligue final, and Rennes fans are wishing that M’Vila will stay to play in that match.
Watch the Rennes celebrations below.
- Updated: January 17, 2013