- Chelsea flop Fernando Torres explains why he left AC Milan to join Atletico Madrid
- Hilarious! Southampton’s Twitter account offers one Saints fan love advice [Tweets]
- THUNDERBASTARD! Charlee Adams (Lincoln City) nets first career goal in Lincolnshire derby [Video]
- Chelsea fans put to the test: “Would you kiss a beautiful Tottenham fan” [Video]
- “At last back home” – Ex-Chelsea man Fernando Torres tweets about return to Atletico Madrid
Ref Beef: Graham Poll tells Mark Halsey ‘he let refereeing profession down’ in face off on Talksport
It’s kicking off in the refereeing fraternity.
Mark Halsey’s has written an autobiography (I know), in which he has suggested that many top-flight referees are not up to standard.
Poll, another of the most high-profile officials of the Premier League era, said Halsey’s conduct was appalling.
The pair took were invited on to Talksport today to air their feelings on raido.
Poll went first:
“The sensible thing would be to ignore him.
“It is what people did at the referees’ camp for a long time when he used to turn up with his Bolton kit to train rather than the kit that we all had on.
“He had a squad number at Bolton and we were told what to wear to train as a group and he ignored that and was on his own. Maybe he is getting back at people.
“He is 100% betraying what paid him a living he would never have earned as the warehouse manager he was or the taxi driver he was. The refereeing fraternity are absolutely appalled at what he is doing. He hasn’t thought it through. Mark has got to take a long, hard look at himself. He won’t. I know the guy. I have known him for years. He is that type of character.”
Halsey then came on the line to offer a riposte.
“I’ve not let the profession down. If anybody is letting the profession down, some of his comments over the years have been atrocious,” said Halsey. “I found that ‘unfitting’ from him what he’s come out with. But that’s Graham. We don’t get on and I don’t like the way he’s done things over the years.”
Let’s hope this refereeing beef doesn’t end like the East Coast/West Coast beef of the 90′s.
[gthumb id="363046" size="large" autoplay="1"]
- Updated: October 8, 2013