- Premier League clubs spent £115m on agent fees; Chelsea forking out £16.77m alone [Full List]
- Real Madrid set to pass on option to sign Chicharito as they have Sergio Aguero in their sights [Fichajes]
- Jose Mourinho: Obviously Lionel Messi is not coming to Chelsea
- Exquisite! Meshal Theyab hits wonderful dipping volley in Kuwaiti Premier League game [Video]
- Manchester City give up pursuit of Isco as he is quite happy at Real Madrid [Marca]
Real Madrid will beat Man City to Isco & Malaga will retire #22 shirt, says owner on Twitter
shirts No . 22 will not be available to any other player in the Malaga cf courtesy to the player Isco
— Abdullah N Al Thani (@ANAALThani) June 25, 2013
This is just downright weird.
Malaga owner Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Abdullah Al Ahmed Al Thani made a strange announcement on Twitter on Tuesday regarding the future of starlet Isco.
After weeks of speculation over whether Isco will move to Manchester City or Real Madrid this summer, it now seems all but certain that Los Blancos will beat the Citizens to the signing of the Spanish attacking midfielder.
Al Thani rubber-stamped the departure of Isco with a cryptically written Tweet on Tuesday in which the owner said that the Malaga 22 shirt “will not be available to any other player.”
It’s been a busy week for Al Thani on the micro-blogging website after the billionaire earlier told his followers (in Arabic) that “If Isco wanted to leave Malaga I’d have preferred a Spanish club, not [a club] outside Spain.”
Whilst retiring football shirts is not a new occurrence in football, retiring a shirt of a footballer who has only ever played 69 games for a club is very much out of the ordinary.
- Updated: June 25, 2013