Real Madrid tried to gazump Bayern offering Lewandowski an €81m 6-year deal, but they failed [Spiegel]
- January 5, 2014
German paper Spiegel have told the story on Sunday of how Real Madrid tried, and failed, to beat Bayern Munich out of signing Polish international forward Robert Lewandowski from Borussia Dortmund.
On Saturday night Bayern announced that Lewandowski, a free agent at the end of the season, will move for free to the Allainz Arena in the summer. Lewandowski has signed a five year deal with the Bavarians.
Now, however, we have learned that Bayern’s acquisition of Lewandowski was not without obstacles as Real came in with a late bid for the BVB star.
According to Spiegel, Real president Florentino Pérez has wanted the striker ever since he scored four goals against Los Blancos in last year’s Champions League.
In early December, Perez commissioned the British lawyer Colin Pomford to see if he could broker a deal for Lewandowski, and the solicitor was armed with an offer of a six year deal for striker with wages of €9.5m a season, plus a €10m signing-on bonus. Moreover, the striker’s agent were likely to scoop €14m also from Real.
Spiegel say that when the Munich got wind of Real’s advances during the Club World Cup in Marrakech, Bayern’s leadership reacted indignantly. Bayern president Uli Hoeness reportedly called Madrid’s move “a declaration of war!”
Lewandowski’s agent Maik Barthel has since confirmed Real’s bid for his client saying: “There was an indecent proposal from Real Madrid. Out of respect for such a big club you have to listen to it, but there was never any question that we break our word with Bayern.”
Lewandowski will earn just under 60 million euros during his full five year stay at Bayern.
- Bayern’s Mario Gotze throws first pitch at LA Dodgers-NY Mets game [Video]
- Bayern open talks with Man United’s Ed Woodward for the €50m purchase of Angel Di...
- Pep Guardiola: Bastian Schweinsteiger needs to decide on a Man United move [Quotes]
- New Bayern Munich attacker Douglas Costa gives first interview since £21m move [Video]
- Man United put together a €160m package (transfer fee & wages) for Bayern’s ...
- Done Deal: Bayern Munich confirm the signing of Douglas Costa
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi