Real Madrid tried to gazump Bayern offering Lewandowski an €81m 6-year deal, but they failed [Spiegel]
German paper Spiegel have told the story on Sunday of how Real Madrid tried, and failed, to beat Bayern Munich out of signing Polish international forward Robert Lewandowski from Borussia Dortmund.
On Saturday night Bayern announced that Lewandowski, a free agent at the end of the season, will move for free to the Allainz Arena in the summer. Lewandowski has signed a five year deal with the Bavarians.
Now, however, we have learned that Bayern’s acquisition of Lewandowski was not without obstacles as Real came in with a late bid for the BVB star.
According to Spiegel, Real president Florentino Pérez has wanted the striker ever since he scored four goals against Los Blancos in last year’s Champions League.
In early December, Perez commissioned the British lawyer Colin Pomford to see if he could broker a deal for Lewandowski, and the solicitor was armed with an offer of a six year deal for striker with wages of €9.5m a season, plus a €10m signing-on bonus. Moreover, the striker’s agent were likely to scoop €14m also from Real.
Spiegel say that when the Munich got wind of Real’s advances during the Club World Cup in Marrakech, Bayern’s leadership reacted indignantly. Bayern president Uli Hoeness reportedly called Madrid’s move “a declaration of war!”
Lewandowski’s agent Maik Barthel has since confirmed Real’s bid for his client saying: “There was an indecent proposal from Real Madrid. Out of respect for such a big club you have to listen to it, but there was never any question that we break our word with Bayern.”
Lewandowski will earn just under 60 million euros during his full five year stay at Bayern.
- Man Utd target Thomas Müller (Bayern) admits he’s tempted by Premier League money
- Liverpool linked with Robert Lewandowski – the Twitter response is hilarious
- Bayern Munich boost as Franck Ribery starts running again (Video)
- Xabi Alonso is no longer the king of the long range golazo at Bayern Munich (Video)
- Man United attacker Adnan Januzaj scored in a friendly for Dortmund today (Video)
- Barcelona also want Liverpool target Pierre Emerick Aubameyang [El Mundo Deportivo]
- Borrussia Dortmund won the internet wishing Jurgen Klopp well at Liverpool
- Borussia Dortmund captain Mats Hummels believes Jurgen Klopp will succeed at Liverpool ...
- Gareth Bale’s agent oddly confirms he and Cristiano Ronaldo don’t ‘ha...
- Real Madrid legend Raul dislodges the net with goal for New York Cosmos (video)
- Cristiano Ronaldo Jr doesn’t know his own name. Cristiano Ronaldo isn’t imp...
- Real Madrid angered by Gareth Bale’s refusal to sit out Wales’ final qualif...