Real Madrid tried to gazump Bayern offering Lewandowski an €81m 6-year deal, but they failed [Spiegel]
German paper Spiegel have told the story on Sunday of how Real Madrid tried, and failed, to beat Bayern Munich out of signing Polish international forward Robert Lewandowski from Borussia Dortmund.
On Saturday night Bayern announced that Lewandowski, a free agent at the end of the season, will move for free to the Allainz Arena in the summer. Lewandowski has signed a five year deal with the Bavarians.
Now, however, we have learned that Bayern’s acquisition of Lewandowski was not without obstacles as Real came in with a late bid for the BVB star.
According to Spiegel, Real president Florentino Pérez has wanted the striker ever since he scored four goals against Los Blancos in last year’s Champions League.
In early December, Perez commissioned the British lawyer Colin Pomford to see if he could broker a deal for Lewandowski, and the solicitor was armed with an offer of a six year deal for striker with wages of €9.5m a season, plus a €10m signing-on bonus. Moreover, the striker’s agent were likely to scoop €14m also from Real.
Spiegel say that when the Munich got wind of Real’s advances during the Club World Cup in Marrakech, Bayern’s leadership reacted indignantly. Bayern president Uli Hoeness reportedly called Madrid’s move “a declaration of war!”
Lewandowski’s agent Maik Barthel has since confirmed Real’s bid for his client saying: “There was an indecent proposal from Real Madrid. Out of respect for such a big club you have to listen to it, but there was never any question that we break our word with Bayern.”
Lewandowski will earn just under 60 million euros during his full five year stay at Bayern.
Watch Live Stream
- Rafinha & Javi Martinez take on Bayern Munich Christmas sweater challenge (Video)November 30, 2016
- Thomas Muller sings Silent Night with supporter during Bayern fan club visit (Video)November 28, 2016
- Bayern president tells Bastian Schweinsteiger to bleed Man United dry [ESPN]November 28, 2016
- Arjen Robben’s dream XI includes Chelsea heroes, an ex Man United striker & lots of Bayern starsNovember 28, 2016
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan claims life under Jurgen Klopp was a ‘disaster’December 2, 2016
- Usain Bolt confirms he will play for Borussia Dortmund, discusses race with Aubameyang (video)November 30, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund 8 – Legia Warsaw 4: All the best stats from the highest scoring Champions League game everNovember 23, 2016
- Marco Reus scores on his Dortmund return to make it 5-2 in 33rd minute (Video)November 22, 2016
- Sergio Ramos’ hero’s welcome from the Real Madrid dressing room after El Clasico (Video)December 4, 2016
- Leo Messi & Cristiano Ronaldo shared a bromantic moment during El Clasico (video)December 4, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo suffers more homophobic abuse from Barcelona crowd during El ClasicoDecember 4, 2016
- Real Madrid’s Martin Odegaard needs to be applauded for his financial ethicsDecember 4, 2016