Real Madrid tried to gazump Bayern offering Lewandowski an €81m 6-year deal, but they failed [Spiegel]
German paper Spiegel have told the story on Sunday of how Real Madrid tried, and failed, to beat Bayern Munich out of signing Polish international forward Robert Lewandowski from Borussia Dortmund.
On Saturday night Bayern announced that Lewandowski, a free agent at the end of the season, will move for free to the Allainz Arena in the summer. Lewandowski has signed a five year deal with the Bavarians.
Now, however, we have learned that Bayern’s acquisition of Lewandowski was not without obstacles as Real came in with a late bid for the BVB star.
According to Spiegel, Real president Florentino Pérez has wanted the striker ever since he scored four goals against Los Blancos in last year’s Champions League.
In early December, Perez commissioned the British lawyer Colin Pomford to see if he could broker a deal for Lewandowski, and the solicitor was armed with an offer of a six year deal for striker with wages of €9.5m a season, plus a €10m signing-on bonus. Moreover, the striker’s agent were likely to scoop €14m also from Real.
Spiegel say that when the Munich got wind of Real’s advances during the Club World Cup in Marrakech, Bayern’s leadership reacted indignantly. Bayern president Uli Hoeness reportedly called Madrid’s move “a declaration of war!”
Lewandowski’s agent Maik Barthel has since confirmed Real’s bid for his client saying: “There was an indecent proposal from Real Madrid. Out of respect for such a big club you have to listen to it, but there was never any question that we break our word with Bayern.”
Lewandowski will earn just under 60 million euros during his full five year stay at Bayern.
- Injured David Alaba celebrates Bayern’s 4-0 win over Olympiakos with a song (Video)
- Douglas Costa & Arjen Robben show off some amazing skills in Bayern’s warm up v Schalk...
- BT Sport produced an outrageous Bayern Munich statistic (Video)
- Mario Gotze & girlfriend Ann Kathrin have fun on Dubsmash (Instagram Videos)
- Borussia Dortmund v VfB Stuttgart: Online Live Streaming video [HD]
- Chelsea to battle Arsenal for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Blues tipped for a low ball offer [Sun]
- As Arsenal circle, watch every single Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang goal in his Bundesliga career (Of...
- Dortmund place €60m price tag on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Arsenal seriously interested [Bild]
- Marco Materazzi takes a dig at Rafa Benitez, saying he can’t handle ‘strong character...
- Real Madrid legend attacks Barca’s Dani Alves on TV for his Cristiano Ronaldo comments (Video)
- Sir Alex Ferguson is on a mission to bring Cristiano Ronaldo back to Man United [Marca]
- Patrice Evra tells BBC Radio Fergie was ‘99% sure’ of Cristiano Ronaldo’s Man U...