- Robinho scores silky solo effort after bamboozling defence with step-overs [Video]
- David Moyes was spotted chatting to Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre at Turf Moor
- Beast! Julio Baptista scores a belter from a cleared Cafu cross in charity game [Video]
- Claude reacts to Arsenal win: My blood pressure pills were coming out again [Video]
- Santa beard! Neymar scores classy goal in charity match before celebrating like a cockroach [Video]
Real Madrid target Liverpool’s Glen Johnson & are ready to match his £110,000-a-week salary [Telegraph]
The Sunday Telegraph has an interesting piece of transfer gossip claiming Real Madrid are chasing Liverpool and England right-back Glen Johnson.
The story, written by John Percy, hinges on the fact that Johnson is out of contract in 2015, and Liverpool are yet to open discussions with him over a new deal.
Rather than simply forgetting to start talks, suggestions are the Liverpool are unhappy with the terms of Johnson’s deal and the club wish to lower the defender’s wages of £110,000-a-week when discussing any contract extension.
Now the Telegraph have chimed in suggesting a bidding war for the defender:
Real Madrid are considering a summer bid for Glen Johnson as the Spanish giants prepare to capitalise on Liverpool’s delay in offering the defender a new contract.
The club’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, are reluctant to pay players lucrative deals when they go beyond their 30th birthday and Johnson is unlikely to be offered significantly more than the £110,000 a week he currently earns.
Ancelotti is in the market for a new right-back, with long-term doubts over Alvaro Arbeloa, and is weighing up a £5million bid for Johnson with the offer of a new challenge in La Liga.
- Updated: March 23, 2014