Real Madrid re-sign ‘keeper Diego ‘Busto’ Lopez from Sevilla for €4.5 million to cover Casillas injury
- January 26, 2013
They didn’t mess about!
Just three days after Iker Casillas suffered a broken thumb that will put him out of action for 12 weeks, Real Madrid have secured the signing of Diego ‘Busto’ Lopez from Sevilla for €4.5 million (though Marca are reporting €3.5 million).
After talk of Julio Cesar and Maarten Stekelengurg, Madrid finally went with their old canterano Lopez, who spent 6 years at Real Madrid between 2000 – 2006 as Casillas’ understudy.
Despite being a Galician and Lugo being his real hometown club, Lopez says he’s always felt Madridista, and has called it a ‘dream to be coming home’.
Significantly, the signing of Lopez means the No.1 spot is now up for grabs once again, as Lopez doesn’t command the status of a Cesar or Stekelenburg, and will be in stiff competition with local boy Adan to earn the right to become titular.
A springy, athletic ‘keeper, Lopez is known to play quite high off his line and command his box with authority.
Watch Diego Lopez’s career highlight reel below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...