“Real have no interest whatsoever in Man United’s Rooney. Zero interest” – Guillem Balague, Sky Sports
Well that rumour didn’t take long to be consigned into the rubbish bin.
With a little over a week to go in the January transfer market, the well-respected Telegraph and Times joined forces over night to promote the story that Real MAdrid are looking to sign Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney in the summer.
According to the Telegraph’s Mark Ogden:
Real Madrid are planning to enter the race to sign Wayne Rooney this summer after identifying the Manchester United forward as more attainable than their first-choice target Sergio Agüero.
Although United remain determined to resist all offers for Rooney, preferring to hold the 28-year-old to the remaining 18 months on his Old Trafford contract, Real believe that the England forward can be prised away from the Premier League champions at the end of the season.
Figures banded about in the Telegraph claim that Real Madrid will bid £25m for Rooney, while the Times suggest that a fee of £32 million will be offered by Los Blancos.
As the Real for Rooney swirls around, Sky Sports’ Spanish pundit Guillem Balague has now waded into the mix to wholeheartedly deny the credibility of the story.
In one of the most unequivocal denials seen this winter, Balague has posted an update on Twitter saying “Real Madrid have no interest whatsoever in Wayne Rooney. Zero interest.”
Below are the backpages of Times Times and Telegraph on Wednesday.
Watch Live Stream
- Man United talks for Victor Lindelof stall, Mourinho to move for Southampton defender [Daily Record]December 5, 2016
- Man United are written off on Match of the Day (Video)December 5, 2016
- Gary Neville defends Man United & a dodgy defender but Marouane Fellaini gets hung out to dryDecember 5, 2016
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho declares his innocence over tax evasion scandalDecember 5, 2016
- Sergio Ramos’ hero’s welcome from the Real Madrid dressing room after El Clasico (Video)December 4, 2016
- Leo Messi & Cristiano Ronaldo shared a bromantic moment during El Clasico (video)December 4, 2016
- Cristiano Ronaldo suffers more homophobic abuse from Barcelona crowd during El ClasicoDecember 4, 2016
- Real Madrid’s Martin Odegaard needs to be applauded for his financial ethicsDecember 4, 2016
- Wayne Rooney suspended for Manchester United’s trip to EvertonNovember 30, 2016
- James Collins jokes about Wayne Rooney after Man United 1 – West Ham 1 [Instagram]November 28, 2016
- Man United captain Wayne Rooney trolls fame-hungry masseur [Instagram]November 26, 2016
- In the clear after Red Wine Weddingate: Wayne Rooney will keep England captaincy [Mirror]November 25, 2016