Real Madrid close ranks on future number 9 Radamel Falcao, as interest in Liverpool’s Suarez dissipates [AS]
Real Madrid are closing in on signing Radamel Falcao from Monaco, if Thursday’s edition of AS is on point.
Much like a game of musical chairs, the headline story in the Spanish daily centres on Real’s plans to hand Falcao the number 9 shirt at the Santiago Bernabeu next season, whilst Karim Benzema, rather than been shifted out the club completely, will instead become the Los Blancos number 10.
The number 10 short has been vacant since Mesut Ozil left for Arsenal last summer.
Rather than all the shirt numbers talk, the underlying message of the transfer tale in AS is to convince readers that Falcao’s arrival in Madrid is imminent.
On the flip-side, the other message of the story is to assert that Real’s interest in signing Luis Suarez from Liverpool has been shelved. AS indeed write that whilst the Liverpool froward looks set to join Barcelona, “the siege of Madrid for Falcao will soon end”.
So what’s stopping the Falcao deal happening today?
AS claim that all that’s left to be agreed between Madrid and Monaco are the deadlines for finalising the transfer payments, while they say Falcao has been told by the Ligue 1 side that he is free to go this summer. Indeed, new Monaco manger Leonardo Jardim is said to be chasing Alvaro Morata to lead his attack next season.
AS also report that Real plan to hand their number 8 shirt to either Toni Kroos or James Rodriguez, depending on which attacking midfielder to manage to sign.
Watch Live Stream
- Bournemouth v Liverpool: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsDecember 3, 2016
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp makes it clear Sturridge will remain at club [Mirror]December 2, 2016
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan claims life under Jurgen Klopp was a ‘disaster’December 2, 2016
- Arsenal now ahead of Liverpool in the race for Welsh wonderkid AmpaduDecember 2, 2016
- Luis Suarez’s goal for Barcelona v Real Madrid shouldn’t have been allowedDecember 3, 2016
- Ex Liverpool striker Luis Suarez pens long and emotional Steven Gerrard tributeNovember 24, 2016
- Uruguayans claim Luis Suarez didn’t swear at Chile fans, but he did troll themNovember 17, 2016
- Arsenal warrior Alexis Sanchez lost his temper with the dugout after a Luis Suarez fall (Official Video)November 17, 2016
- Anthony Martial is four goals away from triggering the first Monaco bonus feeDecember 1, 2016
- Monaco post footage of Thomas Lemar’s winner v Tottenham (Official Video)November 23, 2016
- Save of the season: Hugo Lloris makes unbelievable point blank save during Monaco v Spurs (Video)November 22, 2016
- Tottenham’s Hugo Lloris makes a superb penalty save to deny Radamel Falcao (Video)November 22, 2016