Real Madrid close ranks on future number 9 Radamel Falcao, as interest in Liverpool’s Suarez dissipates [AS]
Real Madrid are closing in on signing Radamel Falcao from Monaco, if Thursday’s edition of AS is on point.
Much like a game of musical chairs, the headline story in the Spanish daily centres on Real’s plans to hand Falcao the number 9 shirt at the Santiago Bernabeu next season, whilst Karim Benzema, rather than been shifted out the club completely, will instead become the Los Blancos number 10.
The number 10 short has been vacant since Mesut Ozil left for Arsenal last summer.
Rather than all the shirt numbers talk, the underlying message of the transfer tale in AS is to convince readers that Falcao’s arrival in Madrid is imminent.
On the flip-side, the other message of the story is to assert that Real’s interest in signing Luis Suarez from Liverpool has been shelved. AS indeed write that whilst the Liverpool froward looks set to join Barcelona, “the siege of Madrid for Falcao will soon end”.
So what’s stopping the Falcao deal happening today?
AS claim that all that’s left to be agreed between Madrid and Monaco are the deadlines for finalising the transfer payments, while they say Falcao has been told by the Ligue 1 side that he is free to go this summer. Indeed, new Monaco manger Leonardo Jardim is said to be chasing Alvaro Morata to lead his attack next season.
AS also report that Real plan to hand their number 8 shirt to either Toni Kroos or James Rodriguez, depending on which attacking midfielder to manage to sign.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal & Liverpool stars joined by Paul Pogba & Sergio Aguero in the BBC XI of the weekSeptember 26, 2016
- Danny Ings scores a fine diving header for Liverpool U23s v Sunderland (Video)September 25, 2016
- Looks like Liverpool keeper Loris Karius takes after Bayern Munich’s Manuel NeuerSeptember 25, 2016
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will be a special pundit on Monday Night FootballSeptember 25, 2016
- Santa Teresa invite Barcelona’s Luis Suarez to their next game after ‘sexist’ comments to Filipe LuisSeptember 23, 2016
- Luis Suarez left the boot in on Filipe Luiz, accused him of diving and called him a clown (Video)September 22, 2016
- Chelsea old boy Filipe Luis calls out Barcelona’s Luis Suarez on Instagram for a nasty foulSeptember 22, 2016
- Barcelona’s Neymar pranked Luis Suarez by handing him his used chewing gum (Video)September 20, 2016
- Leonardo Jardim: Arsenal insight helped in Spurs win [L’Equipe]September 15, 2016
- Tottenham v Monaco: UEFA Champions League preview, line-ups & predictionsSeptember 13, 2016
- Man United target Fabinho scores a thunderba***** in 4-1 Monaco win (Video)September 12, 2016
- AS Monaco reject €40 million Manchester City offer for 17-year-old Kylian Mbappe [L’Equipe]August 31, 2016