Real Betis winger Cedrick, who skinned Sergio Ramos, cost €1.20 – 1 Euro & 20 Cents!!!
- August 19, 2013
And they say there is no value in the European transfer market any more…
After Levante had been smashed 7-0 at Barcelona, there were many wondering where the challenges would come from against the top two in La Liga.
Kudos to Real Betis and their fearless coach Pepe Mel for having a real go at the Bernabeu.
Whilst they did eventually lose 2-1 to a late Isco header, Betis took the lead and were minutes away from securing a draw.
The fact Real Madrid and Barcelona have a clear monetary advantage in La Liga means they will run away with it but there are bargains to be had.
Congolese winger Cedrick Mabwati set up the Betis goal, scored by Jorge Molina, and was very impressive with some lightning quick runs.
The amazing fact about Cedrick, is that he cost just 1.20 euros. That isn’t a typo.
After impressing at Numancia in the Spanish second division, Cedrick had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for a bigger club – worth just 1 euro and 20 cents.
Incredibly, this tiny fee didn’t even go to Numancia, but went to the Spanish Football Federation as the 21-year-old bought himself out of his own contract.
Watch Cedrick skin Sergio Ramos for the Betis goal and another highlight from the €1.20 man at the Bernabeu below.
UPDATE: Sid Lowe mentions on the Guardian podcast and JW adds in the comments that Betis paid 25,000 euros to Numancia as well. Still a ridiculous fee by modern standards…
- Rafael van der Vaart tells the Mirror leaving Spurs “was the most stupid decision...
- Nuts: Spain’s Dani Ceballos pulled off a tremendous nutmeg v Russia in the Euro U...
- Rafael van der Vaart leaves Hamburg for Spanish side Real Betis [Video]
- Take a bow! Almeria’s Jonathan Zongo incredible halfway line golazo v Real Betis ...
- Real Betis contact Barcelona to enquire about possible loan deal for Munir [El Desmarque]
- Stoke beat Real Betis 2-0, Bojan Krkic scores again [Official Highlights]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi