Real Betis winger Cedrick, who skinned Sergio Ramos, cost €1.20 – 1 Euro & 20 Cents!!!
- August 19, 2013
And they say there is no value in the European transfer market any more…
After Levante had been smashed 7-0 at Barcelona, there were many wondering where the challenges would come from against the top two in La Liga.
Kudos to Real Betis and their fearless coach Pepe Mel for having a real go at the Bernabeu.
Whilst they did eventually lose 2-1 to a late Isco header, Betis took the lead and were minutes away from securing a draw.
The fact Real Madrid and Barcelona have a clear monetary advantage in La Liga means they will run away with it but there are bargains to be had.
Congolese winger Cedrick Mabwati set up the Betis goal, scored by Jorge Molina, and was very impressive with some lightning quick runs.
The amazing fact about Cedrick, is that he cost just 1.20 euros. That isn’t a typo.
After impressing at Numancia in the Spanish second division, Cedrick had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for a bigger club – worth just 1 euro and 20 cents.
Incredibly, this tiny fee didn’t even go to Numancia, but went to the Spanish Football Federation as the 21-year-old bought himself out of his own contract.
Watch Cedrick skin Sergio Ramos for the Betis goal and another highlight from the €1.20 man at the Bernabeu below.
UPDATE: Sid Lowe mentions on the Guardian podcast and JW adds in the comments that Betis paid 25,000 euros to Numancia as well. Still a ridiculous fee by modern standards…
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...