Raul Meireles handed 11 game ban for spitting at referee in Istanbul derby
- December 21, 2012
Ex-Liverpool and Chelsea Portuguese midfielder now plies his trade at Turkish giants Fenerbahce.
Last weekend saw the mouthwatering clash between Galatasaray and Fenerbahce in which Gala prevailed 2-1 to extend their lead at the top.
In the 82nd minute Raul Meirles put the nail in Fenerbahce’s coffin by being shown a second yellow card. He clearly wasn’t too happy at this decision. After much shouting at the man in charge, Meireles allegedly spat at him too before taking an early bath.
Raul Meireles has protested his innocence saying ‘“It is not true,” he said. “It is an attack on my human rights. I’m the one who knows what I am doing. I do not want to get punished for something I did not do. I’m a father so this puts me in a difficult situation when I’m teaching my child. My daughter at school gets told ‘your father spat at the referee“.
Watch footage of the spitting in the video below. 0:27 is when the alleged spitting occurs:
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi