Raul Meireles handed 11 game ban for spitting at referee in Istanbul derby
- December 21, 2012
Ex-Liverpool and Chelsea Portuguese midfielder now plies his trade at Turkish giants Fenerbahce.
Last weekend saw the mouthwatering clash between Galatasaray and Fenerbahce in which Gala prevailed 2-1 to extend their lead at the top.
In the 82nd minute Raul Meirles put the nail in Fenerbahce’s coffin by being shown a second yellow card. He clearly wasn’t too happy at this decision. After much shouting at the man in charge, Meireles allegedly spat at him too before taking an early bath.
Raul Meireles has protested his innocence saying ‘“It is not true,” he said. “It is an attack on my human rights. I’m the one who knows what I am doing. I do not want to get punished for something I did not do. I’m a father so this puts me in a difficult situation when I’m teaching my child. My daughter at school gets told ‘your father spat at the referee“.
Watch footage of the spitting in the video below. 0:27 is when the alleged spitting occurs:
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...