Raphael Varane refuses to discuss Chelsea interest, Madrid defender focusing on World Cup [Marca]
- June 1, 2014
If the transfer gossips are to be believed, Raphael Varane is a serious target for Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.
The Special One introduced Varane into the Real Madrid first team where he became one of the top young defenders in the world.
Yet, Varane was not first choice for the Champions League winners in 2013/2014 as Carlo Ancelotti usually preferred Pepe and Sergio Ramos in central defence.
With Chelsea having sold David Luiz, it would appear Mourinho wants to bring Varane to Stamford Bridge.
When asked about Chelsea’s interest, Varane told Marca: “Chelsea’s interest? At the moment I’m not thinking about that at all. We have a World Cup to prepare for, it’s not the time to think about such issues.”
Marca add that Jose Mourinho has guaranteed Varane a starting spot at Chelsea and the French defender wants to speak with Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti before deciding his future.
Varane also spoke about the incident with Diego Simeone at the end of the Champions League final: “I have immense respect for Simeone, both for his playing career and as a coach. That respect he deserves and he he has already accomplished great things and is already among the best. In the context of a final match in the deciding match of the Champions League there is much tension. We’re both competitors and the tension rose, but in the end it remained a story.”
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]