- Leo Messi writes tribute for ex Arsenal & Barcelona forward Thierry Henry on Facebook
- Brendan Rodgers praises Raheem Sterling & says Liverpool don’t have world class forwards [Video]
- Tottenham fans sing about Wembley after beating Newcastle 4-0 in QF [Video]
- Southampton preparing January move for Dutch Galatasaray star Wesley Sneijder [Mirror]
- Roy Keane confronted ex-Man United man Tom Cleverley over Aston Villa bust-up exit rumours [Sun]
Raphael Varane refuses to discuss Chelsea interest, Madrid defender focusing on World Cup [Marca]
If the transfer gossips are to be believed, Raphael Varane is a serious target for Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.
The Special One introduced Varane into the Real Madrid first team where he became one of the top young defenders in the world.
Yet, Varane was not first choice for the Champions League winners in 2013/2014 as Carlo Ancelotti usually preferred Pepe and Sergio Ramos in central defence.
With Chelsea having sold David Luiz, it would appear Mourinho wants to bring Varane to Stamford Bridge.
When asked about Chelsea’s interest, Varane told Marca: “Chelsea’s interest? At the moment I’m not thinking about that at all. We have a World Cup to prepare for, it’s not the time to think about such issues.”
Marca add that Jose Mourinho has guaranteed Varane a starting spot at Chelsea and the French defender wants to speak with Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti before deciding his future.
Varane also spoke about the incident with Diego Simeone at the end of the Champions League final: “I have immense respect for Simeone, both for his playing career and as a coach. That respect he deserves and he he has already accomplished great things and is already among the best. In the context of a final match in the deciding match of the Champions League there is much tension. We’re both competitors and the tension rose, but in the end it remained a story.”
- Updated: June 1, 2014