Rant! Brendan Rodgers in hot water after blasting referee as “horrendous”
Brendan Rodgers described the refereeing performance by Lee Mason in the 2-1 defeat to Manchester City as “horrendous”.
The Liverpool manager said:
“We had no help whatsoever from the officials,
“I thought they were horrendous. We had nothing go our way at all. I was surprised we’re playing in Manchester with a referee from Greater Manchester. I didn’t think we got any decision go for us. I never speak about officials but I feel the need to protect the players this evening. They were outstanding and got nothing.”
Rodgers comments are sure to be looked at by the FA and could even serve a touchline ban.
Rodgers also highlighted certain incidents, such as the offside call against Raheem Sterling and why Suarez didn’t get a penalty when jostling with Joleon Lescott in the box awaiting a corner.
“It is a perfectly timed run when he was through on goal, the kind of move we have worked hard on. You can’t get a decision like that wrong at this level. They are big moments in a big game.”
“There was another incident where Luis didn’t get a free-kick when Joleon Lescott comes through and it was waved play on. It is arguable it is a penalty at the end. But it was throughout the game.”
“Listen, the officials make mistakes. I just felt that the mistakes made tonight shouldn’t have happened at this level.”
Should these quotes land Brendan Rodgers in hot water or is he entitled to say his opinion?
Watch Live Stream
- “No Embarrassment” – Brendan Rodgers discusses Celtic’s 1-0 defeat to Lincoln Red Imps (Video)July 13, 2016
- Brendan Rodgers panned as Celtic beaten by semi-pro Gibraltarian club in UCL qualifier [Tweets]July 12, 2016
- New Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers: I turned down PL to manage one of biggest clubs in world (Video)May 23, 2016
- Celtic appoint ex-Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers as their new managerMay 20, 2016
- Daniel Sturridge posts amusing video from Liverpool’s 3rd kit launchJuly 29, 2016
- Ovie Ejaria’s impressive individual highlights for Liverpool v Chelsea (Video)July 28, 2016
- Chelsea official Twitter attacked for outrageous Cesc Fabregas claim during Liverpool game [Tweets]July 28, 2016
- Liverpool fans make fun of Chelsea players in the mixed zone (Redmen TV Video)July 28, 2016