Ranieri could be sacked at Monaco as Mancini & Hiddink linked to the French moneybags [L’Equipe]
The front page of France’s L’Equipe on Friday suggests that Monaco could be set for a change at the top of their team setup as Claudio Ranieri’s head is on the chopping block.
Monaco, who were promoted from Ligue 2 last season, are flush with cash being owned by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, and the Principality have had no problems spending shedloads of dollars over the summer already.
The likes of Joao Moutinho, Radamel Falcao and James Rodriguez have all been brought into the club for mega-money as Monaco plot an assault on the top end of Ligue 1 in the forthcoming season, however despite writing massive cheques over the summer, on the pitch the team has still not really begun to gel.
Monaco have lost two pre-season friendlies on the trot to supposed lessor German sides Fortuna Dusseldorf and Augsburg, and now it feels like all is not right in Paradise.
Furthermore, “Tinkerman” Ranieri has sought to downplay Monaco’s chances of scooping the title next season, telling reporters this week:
I believe it is too early to ask if we can compete with PSG. PSG, Lyon and Marseille look more like teams than Monaco. So we need time. It will be difficult to be champions this season. Give me some time. To me the most important thing is first to try to build the best group possible.
Will the former Chelsea boss get time though? According to L’Equipe, maybe not.
Despite having successfully steered Monaco back to the big time, and having helped shape their new squad for 2013-14, rumours are the Ranieri maybe axed before the season gets going.
Former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini, and former Chelsea interim manager Guus Hiddink have both been name-dropped as potential replacements for Ranieri in what could prove to be the harshest sacking seen for sometime.
Highlights of Monaco’s two defeats in pre-season can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Zinedine Zidane on three-man shortlist for FIFA men’s Coach of the Year awardDecember 2, 2016
- BBC suggests there’s a problem between Claudio Ranieri & Riyad Mahrez (Audio)November 27, 2016
- Claudio Ranieri happy with Leicester’s UCL form but says PL form must improve (Video)November 22, 2016
- Claudio Ranieri pokes fun at the bookies again, after Leicester’s win over Porto (video)September 28, 2016
- Anthony Martial is four goals away from triggering the first Monaco bonus feeDecember 1, 2016
- Monaco post footage of Thomas Lemar’s winner v Tottenham (Official Video)November 23, 2016
- Save of the season: Hugo Lloris makes unbelievable point blank save during Monaco v Spurs (Video)November 22, 2016
- Tottenham’s Hugo Lloris makes a superb penalty save to deny Radamel Falcao (Video)November 22, 2016
- Roberto Mancini declares interest in Crystal Palace job [Mirror]December 2, 2016
- “Balotelli is an idiot” says former manager Roberto ManciniOctober 26, 2016
- Roberto Mancini praises Mario Balotelli but says he must get 20 goals this season [L’Equipe]October 13, 2016
- West Ham line up replacements for Slaven Bilic, includes a former Man City winner [Express]October 2, 2016