Ranieri could be sacked at Monaco as Mancini & Hiddink linked to the French moneybags [L’Equipe]
The front page of France’s L’Equipe on Friday suggests that Monaco could be set for a change at the top of their team setup as Claudio Ranieri’s head is on the chopping block.
Monaco, who were promoted from Ligue 2 last season, are flush with cash being owned by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, and the Principality have had no problems spending shedloads of dollars over the summer already.
The likes of Joao Moutinho, Radamel Falcao and James Rodriguez have all been brought into the club for mega-money as Monaco plot an assault on the top end of Ligue 1 in the forthcoming season, however despite writing massive cheques over the summer, on the pitch the team has still not really begun to gel.
Monaco have lost two pre-season friendlies on the trot to supposed lessor German sides Fortuna Dusseldorf and Augsburg, and now it feels like all is not right in Paradise.
Furthermore, “Tinkerman” Ranieri has sought to downplay Monaco’s chances of scooping the title next season, telling reporters this week:
I believe it is too early to ask if we can compete with PSG. PSG, Lyon and Marseille look more like teams than Monaco. So we need time. It will be difficult to be champions this season. Give me some time. To me the most important thing is first to try to build the best group possible.
Will the former Chelsea boss get time though? According to L’Equipe, maybe not.
Despite having successfully steered Monaco back to the big time, and having helped shape their new squad for 2013-14, rumours are the Ranieri maybe axed before the season gets going.
Former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini, and former Chelsea interim manager Guus Hiddink have both been name-dropped as potential replacements for Ranieri in what could prove to be the harshest sacking seen for sometime.
Highlights of Monaco’s two defeats in pre-season can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Claudio Ranieri pokes fun at the bookies again, after Leicester’s win over Porto (video)September 28, 2016
- Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri wants a bottle of red wine with Jose Mourinho (Video)September 23, 2016
- Claudio Ranieri talks about giving a new Leicester generation a chance in the League Cup (Video)September 20, 2016
- Claudio Ranieri wants Leicester fans to give N’Golo Kante a warm welcome back (Video)September 19, 2016
- Monaco’s Djibril Sidibe reveals why he rejected a move to Arsenal [Le Parisien]October 10, 2016
- Leonardo Jardim: Arsenal insight helped in Spurs win [L’Equipe]September 15, 2016
- Tottenham v Monaco: UEFA Champions League preview, line-ups & predictionsSeptember 13, 2016
- Man United target Fabinho scores a thunderba***** in 4-1 Monaco win (Video)September 12, 2016
- Roberto Mancini praises Mario Balotelli but says he must get 20 goals this season [L’Equipe]October 13, 2016
- West Ham line up replacements for Slaven Bilic, includes a former Man City winner [Express]October 2, 2016
- Italian press tip an ex-Man City boss to become the new England managerSeptember 28, 2016
- Roberto Mancini claims Ruud Gullit is envious of his coaching career [Radio Incontro Olympia]September 6, 2016