Raheem Sterling set to start for England v Italy as Danny Welbeck suffers injury setback [Backpages]
There was already a huge clamour for Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling to start against England on Saturday, and that likelihood is now almost a certainty, after Man United’s Danny Welbeck suffered an injury setback at Tuesday’s session.
Welbeck, who many had penciled in to start against Italy, now looks almost sure to miss Saturday’s game having limped out of Tuesday’s session, and this has cause a major shuffle in Hodgson’s plans, according to tomorrow’s backpages.
The Mirror claim that Hodgson’s plan is to now play Sterling as a number 10 ‘in the hole’, with Rooney on the left.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal fans react cynically to news that Danny Welbeck will return ahead of schedule [Tweets]August 19, 2016
- Arsenal get a rare, positive injury update for Danny WelbeckAugust 19, 2016
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck will be out of action for nine months [Tweets]May 11, 2016
- Arsenal’s Danny Welbeck & Serge Gnabry partake in laughter fuelled rapid fire questions (Video)May 9, 2016
- Raheem Sterling says he wasn’t able to play natural game under Manuel Pellegrini [Quotes]October 3, 2016
- Raheem Sterling pulls out of England squad, Andros Townsend replaces him [Tweets]October 3, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp spectacularly over-estimates Raheem Sterling’s transfer fee to Man City (Video)September 23, 2016
- Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling on ‘unfair criticism’ he received last season (Video)September 12, 2016
- Subdued Birthday wishes for Wayne Rooney after Manchester United’s 4-0 thrashing at ChelseaOctober 24, 2016
- Sky Sports pundit drops Wayne Rooney & Juan Mata from Manchester United XI v Chelsea (Video)October 23, 2016
- Jose Mourinho insists Wayne Rooney is a striker and will never play midfield for him (Video)October 23, 2016
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho insists he will never sell Wayne Rooney (Video)October 23, 2016