Raheem Sterling set to start for England v Italy as Danny Welbeck suffers injury setback [Backpages]
There was already a huge clamour for Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling to start against England on Saturday, and that likelihood is now almost a certainty, after Man United’s Danny Welbeck suffered an injury setback at Tuesday’s session.
Welbeck, who many had penciled in to start against Italy, now looks almost sure to miss Saturday’s game having limped out of Tuesday’s session, and this has cause a major shuffle in Hodgson’s plans, according to tomorrow’s backpages.
The Mirror claim that Hodgson’s plan is to now play Sterling as a number 10 ‘in the hole’, with Rooney on the left.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal fans react cynically to news that Danny Welbeck will return ahead of schedule [Tweets]August 19, 2016
- Arsenal get a rare, positive injury update for Danny WelbeckAugust 19, 2016
- Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck will be out of action for nine months [Tweets]May 11, 2016
- Arsenal’s Danny Welbeck & Serge Gnabry partake in laughter fuelled rapid fire questions (Video)May 9, 2016
- Raheem Sterling bemused at being told he’s been ‘reborn’ post-Man City 3 – West Ham 1 (Video)August 28, 2016
- Pep Guardiola’s supportive text message to Raheem Sterling during his tough Euro 2016August 28, 2016
- FPL GW2: Captain Zlatan, keep an eye on Raheem Sterling & don’t forget early deadlineAugust 18, 2016
- Man City’s Raheem Sterling bags sublime assist for David Silva v Steaua Bucharest (Video)August 16, 2016
- 12 of 14 Man United players celebrate late Hull win on InstagramAugust 28, 2016
- Should Man United’s Wayne Rooney remain England’s captain? (BBC Video)August 23, 2016
- Wayne Rooney gets disappointing news about his Man United future [Sun]August 17, 2016
- Retired Man United defender turned pundit lays into “overweight” Wayne RooneyAugust 16, 2016