- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
- David De Gea has turned down Real Madrid, set to sign new 5-year Man United contract [Express]
- Chelsea’s Fernando Torres could move to Atletico Madrid on loan in January [Chiringuito]
- Arsenal lining up £26m January bid for Barcelona’s Pedro [Express]
Raheem Sterling (Liverpool) & Andros Townsend (Tottenham) look sharp in a training match with England U21
FATV have released footage on Wednesday from England’s U21 camp of behind-the-scenes snippets from practice match within the Young Lions squad.
England U21s have been drawn against Serbia in a play-off qualifiers for the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship. The two-legged ties will be played on October 12 and 16, and the victors will progress to next summer’s finals in Israel.
With the stakes so high, Stuart Pearce has brought together a very strong group of players for the match with the eastern Europeans, and the talents of Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling and Tottenham’s Andros Townsend were apparent during the training game.
Sterling, who has come from nowhere to assert himself as an Anfield first-teamer this season, got the match off to a flyer with two goals. The Liverpool winger scored from the spot after he earlier was brought down for a penalty, while Sterling doubled his tally with a tidy volley following a right-wing cross.
As for Tottenham’s Andros Townsend, the 21-year-old also showed a couple of neat touches as, moments after he laced a left footed beauty into the near post, the Spurs forward harried a defender off the ball before finding the far corner.
The goal of the game arguably came from Sunderland’s Connor Wickham, who lashed a left-footed into the net after cannoning a the ball in off the post.
Watch the England U21 training match below.
- Updated: October 10, 2012