Raheem Sterling (Liverpool) & Andros Townsend (Tottenham) look sharp in a training match with England U21
- October 10, 2012
FATV have released footage on Wednesday from England’s U21 camp of behind-the-scenes snippets from practice match within the Young Lions squad.
England U21s have been drawn against Serbia in a play-off qualifiers for the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship. The two-legged ties will be played on October 12 and 16, and the victors will progress to next summer’s finals in Israel.
With the stakes so high, Stuart Pearce has brought together a very strong group of players for the match with the eastern Europeans, and the talents of Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling and Tottenham’s Andros Townsend were apparent during the training game.
Sterling, who has come from nowhere to assert himself as an Anfield first-teamer this season, got the match off to a flyer with two goals. The Liverpool winger scored from the spot after he earlier was brought down for a penalty, while Sterling doubled his tally with a tidy volley following a right-wing cross.
As for Tottenham’s Andros Townsend, the 21-year-old also showed a couple of neat touches as, moments after he laced a left footed beauty into the near post, the Spurs forward harried a defender off the ball before finding the far corner.
The goal of the game arguably came from Sunderland’s Connor Wickham, who lashed a left-footed into the net after cannoning a the ball in off the post.
Watch the England U21 training match below.
Brendan Rodgers: “If the Liverpool owners want me to go then I go”
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...