Rafael Van Der Vaart proudly admits to getting Robert Lewandowski sent off
- February 10, 2013
”The referee didnt want to give him red. I then made some theater and he gave him red.” – Rafael Van Der Vaart
It transpires that Robert Lewandowski’s first ever career red card against Hamburg yesterday had a little helping hand from ex-Spurs man Rafael Van Der Vaart.
As explained yesterday, to be sent off for his accidental kick on Hamburg’s Skejlbred alone would have been very harsh on Lewandowski.
According to Van Der Vaart, the incident required a little extra spice in order for the ref to produce the red on the Polish striker.
So Van Der Vaart decided to get himself involved, and threw himself to the floor at the slightest nudge from Lewandowski.
The ref fell for it hook, line, and sinker: Lewandowski was sent off, the momentum swung back in Hamburg’s favour and they went on to record a historic 4-1 win over the champions.
So, clever play from VDV or unacceptable dark arts?
Watch Van Der Vaart’s ‘theatre’ on the clip below and Lewandowski’s subsequent sending off.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”294255″]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi