- Premier League clubs spent £115m on agent fees; Chelsea forking out £16.77m alone [Full List]
- Real Madrid set to pass on option to sign Chicharito as they have Sergio Aguero in their sights [Fichajes]
- Jose Mourinho: Obviously Lionel Messi is not coming to Chelsea
- Exquisite! Meshal Theyab hits wonderful dipping volley in Kuwaiti Premier League game [Video]
- Manchester City give up pursuit of Isco as he is quite happy at Real Madrid [Marca]
Rafael Van Der Vaart proudly admits to getting Robert Lewandowski sent off
”The referee didnt want to give him red. I then made some theater and he gave him red.” – Rafael Van Der Vaart
It transpires that Robert Lewandowski’s first ever career red card against Hamburg yesterday had a little helping hand from ex-Spurs man Rafael Van Der Vaart.
As explained yesterday, to be sent off for his accidental kick on Hamburg’s Skejlbred alone would have been very harsh on Lewandowski.
According to Van Der Vaart, the incident required a little extra spice in order for the ref to produce the red on the Polish striker.
So Van Der Vaart decided to get himself involved, and threw himself to the floor at the slightest nudge from Lewandowski.
The ref fell for it hook, line, and sinker: Lewandowski was sent off, the momentum swung back in Hamburg’s favour and they went on to record a historic 4-1 win over the champions.
So, clever play from VDV or unacceptable dark arts?
Watch Van Der Vaart’s ‘theatre’ on the clip below and Lewandowski’s subsequent sending off.
- Updated: February 10, 2013