Radamel Falcao posts classy message on Twitter after being ruled out of Colombia WC squad
Hoy solo puedo sonreír por haberlo intentado hasta el final. pic.twitter.com/qzDkcT9gyj
— Radamel Falcao (@FALCAO) June 2, 2014
There are some big players missing the World Cup.
Victor Valdes, Kevin Strootman, Theo Walcott, Rafael van der Vaart and Christian Benteke could all reasonably have been expected to make an impact on Brazil 2014.
But, ever since Radamel Falcao damaged his knee in January, during a cup match with Monaco (that he could have been rested for), the whole world has been watching to see whether the Colombian will make it.
As a result, the Monaco hitman goes down as the best player to miss the World Cup through injury and in the same bracket as Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Gareth Bale, as the players to not be present in Brazil.
Falcao is 28, at the peak of his career, and the talisman of a very talented Colombia side.
He fronted up to a press conference with Pekerman to make the announcement and also posted a message on Twitter & Instagram.
Saying: “Hoy solo puedo sonreír por haberlo intentado hasta el final.” – “Today I can only smile for trying to the end.”
And, Falcao also retweeted Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone, who wrote: “Lo más importante es tu recuperación como profesional. El fútbol necesita de tu talento y tu pasión. Abrazo.” – “The most important thing is your recovery as a professional. Football needs your talent and your passion. Hugs.”
— Diego Pablo Simeone (@Simeone) June 2, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Rumours linking Arsenal to Antoine Griezmann are lies [Arseblog]August 24, 2016
- Arsene Wenger spent summer trying to sign Antoine Griezmann, move scuppered by Chelsea [Squawka]August 23, 2016
- Man Utd fans will love Antoine Griezmann’s reason for wearing Long Sleeved Number 7August 22, 2016
- Atletico Madrid 1 – Alaves 1: Late drama as the Rojiblancos drop two points (Official Video)August 22, 2016
- Neymar scores a free-kick & starts a fight in Brazil’s 2-0 win over Colombia (Videos)August 14, 2016
- Arsenal’s David Ospina pulls off wonder save for Colombia (Video)June 26, 2016
- Reigning Copa America champs Chile beat Colombia 2-0 to reach the final (Official Videos)June 23, 2016
- Colombian journalist Andrea Guerrero accused of flirting with James RodriguezJune 18, 2016
- Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone reveals he tried to re-sign Chelsea striker Diego CostaAugust 19, 2016
- Giovanni Simeone is heading to Europe to sign a five-year deal with Genoa [Mundo Deportivo]August 1, 2016
- Diego Simeone rejected approach from PSG because he wants to stay with Atletico [Di Marzio]June 4, 2016
- Diego Simeone believes what Atletico Madrid are doing will go down in history [Sport]May 6, 2016