- 10Bet Exclusive Bonus: 50% Up To £200 Free!
- Bet365 Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £200 Free!
- NetBet Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £100 Free!
- Bet365 Live streaming - Watch Live Sports
- BoyleSports Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Ladbrokes Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Betfred Exclusive Bonus: 100% up to £25!
- Winner Sports Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £200 Free!
- 18Bet Exclusive Bonus: 150% Up To £30 Free!
- Betway Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Vernons Sports Exclusive Bonus: 100% up to £25 Free!
Racing refused to play for 20 seconds v Almeria over unpaid wages, fans attacked president Ángel Lavín
- Updated: January 9, 2014
Racing Santander took on Almeria in the Copa Del Rey on Wednesday night, and the match produced a couple of noticeable flashpoints as both Racing’s players and fans turned on their owners.
Amid a financial crisis at the club, Racing’s players have reportedly not received wages since September. That lack of payment provoked a strange start to the cup tie with Almeria, as the hosts refused to take part in the game for the first 20 seconds in a public protest about their treatment.
Interestingly, Almeria’s players seemed happy to allow the Santander team to down their tools the hosts knocked the ball about before kicking it into touch as the protest was staged.
Far more serious though were attempts by Racing supporters to attack president Ángel Lavín in the directors’ box during the match.
Despite the fact that a little more than a thousand fans attending the game, there was a hostile atmosphere inside El Sardinero. Accordingly, just before the hour and with Almeria leading 1-0, a group of fans attacked the directors’ box, throwing drinks over the club’s directors and attempting to assault the president Ángel Lavín.
According to reports several fans managed to kick Lavín before security stepped in to cordon off the directors’ box from the angry supporters.
Watch footage of Racing’s players refusing to play for 20 seconds v Almeria, together with scary footage of their fans attacking the club’s owners.