- Diego Simeone says Barcelona’s Leo Messi is better than Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema combined
- Neymar at the double as Barcelona win 3-2 at Atletico Madrid [Highlights]
- Porto star Jackson Martinez nets Zlatan-esque backheel volley golazo [Vine & GIF]
- Troll! Juanfran showed Barcelona’s Neymar 7 fingers, referencing 7-1 loss to Germany [Video]
- Christian Eriksen (Spurs) inch perfect free kick golazo v Sheffield United [GIF]
Pyrotechnics from Frankfurt fans halted the match with Bayer Leverkusen
Bayer Leverkusen had an successful Saturday.
Sami Hyypia’s charges claimed a confident 3-1 win over fourth-placed Eintracht Frankfurt, in which Sebastian Boenisch, Stefan Kiessling and Andre Schürrle hit the target before the visitors snatched a late consolation.
The win kept Bayer in second spot in the Bundesliga – nine points before Bayern Munich, three points in front of Borussia Dortmund – and ensured their assault on a Champions League placed finish remained on course.
But there was a sour note to the occasion, as in the 15th minute the match was momentarily abandoned as a section of supporters Frankfurt started a pyrotechnics show.
Tucked away in one corner of the ground, a whole block of home supporters appeared to act in unison as red fiery flares were lit up. With the smoke bellowing across the ground a woman on the loudspeaker announced that such behaviour could cause the game to be abandoned. In the meantime the players were ordered off the pitch.
Amid the scenes images were caught of fans hurling flares, yet five minutes later tensions had settled down and the match picked up where it left off.
Watch fan footage of the Eintracht Frankfurt disturbance below.
- Updated: January 20, 2013