Pyrotechnics from Frankfurt fans halted the match with Bayer Leverkusen
- January 20, 2013
Bayer Leverkusen had an successful Saturday.
Sami Hyypia’s charges claimed a confident 3-1 win over fourth-placed Eintracht Frankfurt, in which Sebastian Boenisch, Stefan Kiessling and Andre Schürrle hit the target before the visitors snatched a late consolation.
The win kept Bayer in second spot in the Bundesliga – nine points before Bayern Munich, three points in front of Borussia Dortmund – and ensured their assault on a Champions League placed finish remained on course.
But there was a sour note to the occasion, as in the 15th minute the match was momentarily abandoned as a section of supporters Frankfurt started a pyrotechnics show.
Tucked away in one corner of the ground, a whole block of home supporters appeared to act in unison as red fiery flares were lit up. With the smoke bellowing across the ground a woman on the loudspeaker announced that such behaviour could cause the game to be abandoned. In the meantime the players were ordered off the pitch.
Amid the scenes images were caught of fans hurling flares, yet five minutes later tensions had settled down and the match picked up where it left off.
Watch fan footage of the Eintracht Frankfurt disturbance below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...