- Mario Balotelli pulls off back skill and bicycle kick during Liverpool head tennis [Video]
- Rumours abound that Falcao will start for Man United against Chelsea [Tweets]
- Thibaut Courtois has achieved a lot in his career since his debut six years ago
- This graphic shows Louis van Gaal’s stunning influence over top level European football
- Louis van Gaal says that both Jose Mourinho and him live to win titles [Video]
Pyrotechnics from Frankfurt fans halted the match with Bayer Leverkusen
- January 20, 2013
Bayer Leverkusen had an successful Saturday.
Sami Hyypia’s charges claimed a confident 3-1 win over fourth-placed Eintracht Frankfurt, in which Sebastian Boenisch, Stefan Kiessling and Andre Schürrle hit the target before the visitors snatched a late consolation.
The win kept Bayer in second spot in the Bundesliga – nine points before Bayern Munich, three points in front of Borussia Dortmund – and ensured their assault on a Champions League placed finish remained on course.
But there was a sour note to the occasion, as in the 15th minute the match was momentarily abandoned as a section of supporters Frankfurt started a pyrotechnics show.
Tucked away in one corner of the ground, a whole block of home supporters appeared to act in unison as red fiery flares were lit up. With the smoke bellowing across the ground a woman on the loudspeaker announced that such behaviour could cause the game to be abandoned. In the meantime the players were ordered off the pitch.
Amid the scenes images were caught of fans hurling flares, yet five minutes later tensions had settled down and the match picked up where it left off.
Watch fan footage of the Eintracht Frankfurt disturbance below.