Proof that David De Gea needs time at Man United: Peter Schmeichel mistakes 1992-94
- January 22, 2013
The debate surrounding David De Gea has gone up a notch since the final few seconds of Manchester United’s late draw with Tottenham on Sunday.
Gary Neville has led the charge on Sky Sports, arguing De Gea cost Manchester United two points at White Hart Lane and the back pages this morning suggest Sir Alex Ferguson is looking at Victor Valdes or Pepe Reina to replace his number one.
Yet, De Gea has many supporters arguing that at 22-years-old mistakes will happen, especially in a league he is still getting to grips with.
In addition, why have Rafael (failed to cut out the cross) and Nemanja Vidic (bumped into De Gea) got off scott-free from any criticism surrounding Clint Dempsey’s late equaliser?
The best argument to back De Gea may well though come from the video below, which involves Manchester United’s greatest ever goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel.
The big Dane, whom many could argue was the greatest custodian football has ever seen, also has his fair share of troubles at the outset of his Old Trafford career.
Accordingly the video below flags up some of Schmeichel’s dodgier Manchester United moments, and acts as warning that David De Gea should maybe be given some more slack when it comes to the criticism being levelled against him.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...