- Robinho pulls off awesome skill in charity match [video]
- Man United move for “transfer listed” Nemanja Vidic [Star Sunday]
- John Terry (34) to get a new £175k-a-week one year Chelsea deal [Star & Express]
- Arsenal set for 20m William Carvalho bid [Mail on Sunday]
- West Ham may lose Big Sam after the season & Irons may sell 20% to pay off debt [Telegraph]
Predicted Line-up: Arsenal are decimated by injuries before their season opener v Aston Villa
Arsene Wenger’s lack of spending this summer is now back in full focus as the news filters in about Arsenal’s squad fitness ahead of Saturday’s Premier League opener against Aston Villa.
Following Wednesday night’s international friendly schedule, Arsenal are in dire straights.
The Gunners’ gravest problems are in defence.
Bacary Sagna is the latest name to be put on the injury list after the French full-back picked up an ankle injury against Belgium, while the North Londoners were already without Thomas Vermaelen and Nacho Monreal. That leaves Wenger with just four first team defenders to choose from.
In midfield Arsenal are equally shorn of bodies with Santi Cazorla (fatigue) and Mikel Arteta (thigh, possiblly out for four weeks), both unlikely to feature at the Emirates on Saturday.
Up front, Arsenal’s new signing Yaya Sanogo is also out with injury.
Below is a predicted line up for Arsenal’s opener day fixture with Aston Villa, together with a team of eleven players who Arsenal didn’t sign this summer despite rumours of potential deals.
- Updated: August 15, 2013