- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
Portugal manager Paulo Bento wrote a 23-man World Cup squad on a napkin in an Italian restaurant [Picture]
The Portuguese media are up in arms on Tuesday amid reports that national team manager Paulo Bento revealed his 23-man World Cup squad on a napkin in an Italian restaurant.
According to reports in Iberia, Bento was out for dinner on Monday night when he scribbled a potential Portugal 23-man squad for Brazil 2014 on the piece of paper.
At the end of the meal Bento is said to ave crumpled up the napkin and thrown it in a bin, however someone at the restaurant retrieved the note and now it’s been published on loads of websites in Portugal.
Several points of interest can be gleaned from Paulo Bento’s alleged squad.
Despite his recent stunning form for Pacos, Man United loanee Bebe appears to have failed to make the cut for the Selecao, however there is room in the squad for Porto’s hit-and-miss walking showboat Ricardo Quaresma.
Furthermore, according to the way in which the names were written out on the napkin, Portugal’s starting XI at the World Cup will be as follows: Rui Patricio, Joao Pereira, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Fabio Ceontrao, Raul Meireles, Fernando, João Moutinho, Luis Nani, Helder Postiga and Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Updated: April 1, 2014