Portsmouth sign Papa John’s competition winner Rob Philips, 44-year old fan who’s never played pro football!
- February 14, 2014
Here’s a transfer gamble like no other, though a pretty-risk free one it must be said.
Portsmouth, currently squatting 20th place in League 2, have signed fan Rob Phillips, as part of a promotional competition with sponspors Papa Johns, the pizza makers.
Phillips, who’s never played pro football in his life, gets a contract until the end of the season, going straight into the first team squad, training with the first team, and will be included on the club website and in matchday programs.
Pompey are under no obligation to play him, though, so Phillips may have a lot of benchwarming to look forward to.
The portly Pompey fan said of his dream contract:
‘‘It’s amazing to have signed for the club that I have supported since I was a boy.’
‘The lads have treated me well and it’s an honour that I’m now an official member of the squad. I chose squad number 44 as it was my 44th birthday on Saturday.’’
- Bankrupt ex-Portsmouth & Liverpool keeper David James auctioning off football memo...
- A First World War memorial at Portsmouth’s Fratton Park is defaced by Southampton...
- Burton Albion v Portsmouth: Watch a Live Stream of the League Two match
- Jon Walters at the double as Stoke beat Portsmouth 3-0 [Official Highlights]
- Pompey’s Jack Whatmough reacts to chatter he’s Arsenal’s Jack Wilsher...
- Cambridge scored a glorious own goal for Portsmouth yesterday!
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi