Portsmouth sign Papa John’s competition winner Rob Philips, 44-year old fan who’s never played pro football!
- February 14, 2014
Here’s a transfer gamble like no other, though a pretty-risk free one it must be said.
Portsmouth, currently squatting 20th place in League 2, have signed fan Rob Phillips, as part of a promotional competition with sponspors Papa Johns, the pizza makers.
Phillips, who’s never played pro football in his life, gets a contract until the end of the season, going straight into the first team squad, training with the first team, and will be included on the club website and in matchday programs.
Pompey are under no obligation to play him, though, so Phillips may have a lot of benchwarming to look forward to.
The portly Pompey fan said of his dream contract:
‘‘It’s amazing to have signed for the club that I have supported since I was a boy.’
‘The lads have treated me well and it’s an honour that I’m now an official member of the squad. I chose squad number 44 as it was my 44th birthday on Saturday.’’
- Portsmouth 2 – Derby 1: Rams dumped out the Capital One Cup at the 1st hurdle (Of...
- Portsmouth v Derby: Watch a Live Stream
- Bankrupt ex-Portsmouth & Liverpool keeper David James auctioning off football memo...
- A First World War memorial at Portsmouth’s Fratton Park is defaced by Southampton...
- Burton Albion v Portsmouth: Watch a Live Stream of the League Two match
- Jon Walters at the double as Stoke beat Portsmouth 3-0 [Official Highlights]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...