- Corinthians intensify effort to sign Spurs’ Paulinho, player’s wife being pregnant a factor [Globo]
- Celtic to fend off offers from Arsenal & Liverpool for defender Virgil van Dijk [Scotsman]
- “He is a player of United!” LVG rules out loan move for Adnan Januzaj
- Man United & Arsenal have a great win % on Boxing Day, Aston Villa less so
- The top 10 funniest moments of the Bundesliga so far! [Video]
Poor Fred! Brazil striker skies a penalty for Fluminense at Botafogo
Brazil striker Fred endured the World Cup from hell and his performances on the pitch don’t appear to be getting much better!
The 30-year-old striker was castigated by all and sundry across the planet even before Brazil were humiliated in the World Cup semi-final by Germany.
Its fair to say, Fred proved that Brazil needs better strikers and even a goal in the World Cup group stages against Cameroon failed to dispel the doubters.
By the time Fred was hauled off against Germany with 20 minutes to go, Brazil fans were openly booing their own striker.
Since the World Cup, Fred has played for Fluminense five times and struggled to pick up the goal scent again, despite notching last week in a 5-2 home defeat to America-RN.
And on Sunday night, with Fluminense 2-0 down at Botafogo, Fred stepped up to take a penalty to halve the deficit with two minutes to go.
At least the home fans had a good laugh…
- Updated: August 18, 2014