Plenty of people think Luis Suarez dived for Liverpool’s penalty v Aston Villa [Vines & Tweets]
After trailing 2-0 to Aston Villa after 37 minutes, Liverpool hauled themselves back to 2-2 in the 53rd courtesy of a penalty from captain Steve Gerrard.
Luis Suarez, Liverpool’s mercurial #7, won the spot-kick after the striker came into contact with Villa’s American goalie Brad Guzan, however many TV viewers questioned whether the Reds attacker had taken a dive.
Whether serious of joking, the anti-Suarez commentary following Liverpool’s penalty represents just what a love/hate figure the Uruguayan forward remains despite the fact that the South American is arguably the best player in the Premier League, if not in the world, at present.
For the sake of good order, it’s worth remembering Luis Suarez has 22 goals in 16 appearances this season, while Suarez has scored 45 goals in his last 49 league games for Liverpool.
Below are a series of Tweets questioning whether Luis Suarez dived to win the penalty against Aston Villa.
I thought Splash started at 7? #Dive
— Dan Walker (@mrdanwalker) January 18, 2014
I wonder if we hear anything of Suarez diving tomorrow in the papers or radio !!!! I doubt it
— David May (@DavidMay04) January 18, 2014
People talking as if Suarez is the only player in the world that would drop in that situation.
— Back Page Football (@bpfootball) January 18, 2014
A dive is a dive is a dive. I'll never understand supporters who defend it.
— Nooruddean (@BeardedGenius) January 18, 2014
Similar to the Oscar dive, but less blatant. Suarez has, of course, had plenty of practice
— Rik Sharma (@riksharma_) January 18, 2014
Spanish penalty #LFC
— Ian Watson (@IanWatson1) January 18, 2014
"Spanish penalty." Would rather see a "Scottish League Two" penalty, where his leg snapped and he has to work in an ice-cream van afterwards
— Callum Hamilton (@Callum_TH) January 18, 2014
Certainly a dive from Suarez. Albeit a very canny one.
— gunnerblog (@gunnerblog) January 18, 2014
7 – Since the start of last season, Luis Suarez has won seven penalties – four more than any other Premier League player. Tricky.
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 18, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- West Brom’s social media account trolled Aston VillaNovember 22, 2016
- Brighton v Aston Villa: Watch a live stream of the Championship matchNovember 18, 2016
- Mike Dean’s quick thinking prevents Birmingham City from scoring in derby matchNovember 2, 2016
- Birmingham v Aston Villa: Watch a live stream of the Championship matchOctober 30, 2016
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp makes it clear Sturridge will remain at club [Mirror]December 2, 2016
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan claims life under Jurgen Klopp was a ‘disaster’December 2, 2016
- Arsenal now ahead of Liverpool in the race for Welsh wonderkid AmpaduDecember 2, 2016
- In-depth Fantasy Football previews: Man City v Chelsea & how to replace CoutinhoDecember 2, 2016
- Ex Liverpool striker Luis Suarez pens long and emotional Steven Gerrard tributeNovember 24, 2016
- Uruguayans claim Luis Suarez didn’t swear at Chile fans, but he did troll themNovember 17, 2016
- Arsenal warrior Alexis Sanchez lost his temper with the dugout after a Luis Suarez fall (Official Video)November 17, 2016
- Luis Suarez is in hot bother for swearing at Chile fans, faces a banNovember 16, 2016