Plenty of people think Luis Suarez dived for Liverpool’s penalty v Aston Villa [Vines & Tweets]
After trailing 2-0 to Aston Villa after 37 minutes, Liverpool hauled themselves back to 2-2 in the 53rd courtesy of a penalty from captain Steve Gerrard.
Luis Suarez, Liverpool’s mercurial #7, won the spot-kick after the striker came into contact with Villa’s American goalie Brad Guzan, however many TV viewers questioned whether the Reds attacker had taken a dive.
Whether serious of joking, the anti-Suarez commentary following Liverpool’s penalty represents just what a love/hate figure the Uruguayan forward remains despite the fact that the South American is arguably the best player in the Premier League, if not in the world, at present.
For the sake of good order, it’s worth remembering Luis Suarez has 22 goals in 16 appearances this season, while Suarez has scored 45 goals in his last 49 league games for Liverpool.
Below are a series of Tweets questioning whether Luis Suarez dived to win the penalty against Aston Villa.
I thought Splash started at 7? #Dive
— Dan Walker (@mrdanwalker) January 18, 2014
I wonder if we hear anything of Suarez diving tomorrow in the papers or radio !!!! I doubt it
— David May (@DavidMay04) January 18, 2014
People talking as if Suarez is the only player in the world that would drop in that situation.
— Back Page Football (@bpfootball) January 18, 2014
A dive is a dive is a dive. I'll never understand supporters who defend it.
— Nooruddean (@BeardedGenius) January 18, 2014
Similar to the Oscar dive, but less blatant. Suarez has, of course, had plenty of practice
— Rik Sharma (@riksharma_) January 18, 2014
Spanish penalty #LFC
— Ian Watson (@IanWatson1) January 18, 2014
"Spanish penalty." Would rather see a "Scottish League Two" penalty, where his leg snapped and he has to work in an ice-cream van afterwards
— Callum Hamilton (@Callum_TH) January 18, 2014
Certainly a dive from Suarez. Albeit a very canny one.
— gunnerblog (@gunnerblog) January 18, 2014
7 – Since the start of last season, Luis Suarez has won seven penalties – four more than any other Premier League player. Tricky.
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 18, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Jonathan Kodjia scores a scissors-kick golazo as Aston Villa beat Fulham 1-0 (Official Video)October 22, 2016
- Aston Villa v Wolves: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-10-15October 11, 2016
- Random, Funny: Aston Villa and Virgin Trains savagely troll each other on TwitterOctober 4, 2016
- Tim Sherwood declares interest in Aston Villa job following Roberto Di Matteo sacking (Talksport)October 3, 2016
- Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over a return to Anfield [The Express]October 23, 2016
- Joel Matip heaps praise on Philippe Coutinho following West Brom winOctober 23, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp bursts out laughing after funny mix-up in post-match interview (Video)October 23, 2016
- West Brom boss Tony Pulis explains why he thinks Liverpool can win the title (Video)October 23, 2016
- New video angle emerges of Barcelona players being hit by bottles & Leo Messi’s rage (video)October 23, 2016
- Valencia fans hit Neymar & Luis Suarez with bottles after Barcelona’s late winner (Video)October 22, 2016
- Barcelona striker Luis Suarez explains why he’ll never win the Ballon d’Or [ESPN]October 21, 2016
- Liverpool’s top 10 best cheeky chips & lobbed goals (official video)October 21, 2016