Plenty of people think Luis Suarez dived for Liverpool’s penalty v Aston Villa [Vines & Tweets]
After trailing 2-0 to Aston Villa after 37 minutes, Liverpool hauled themselves back to 2-2 in the 53rd courtesy of a penalty from captain Steve Gerrard.
Luis Suarez, Liverpool’s mercurial #7, won the spot-kick after the striker came into contact with Villa’s American goalie Brad Guzan, however many TV viewers questioned whether the Reds attacker had taken a dive.
Whether serious of joking, the anti-Suarez commentary following Liverpool’s penalty represents just what a love/hate figure the Uruguayan forward remains despite the fact that the South American is arguably the best player in the Premier League, if not in the world, at present.
For the sake of good order, it’s worth remembering Luis Suarez has 22 goals in 16 appearances this season, while Suarez has scored 45 goals in his last 49 league games for Liverpool.
Below are a series of Tweets questioning whether Luis Suarez dived to win the penalty against Aston Villa.
I thought Splash started at 7? #Dive
— Dan Walker (@mrdanwalker) January 18, 2014
I wonder if we hear anything of Suarez diving tomorrow in the papers or radio !!!! I doubt it
— David May (@DavidMay04) January 18, 2014
People talking as if Suarez is the only player in the world that would drop in that situation.
— Back Page Football (@bpfootball) January 18, 2014
A dive is a dive is a dive. I'll never understand supporters who defend it.
— Nooruddean (@BeardedGenius) January 18, 2014
Similar to the Oscar dive, but less blatant. Suarez has, of course, had plenty of practice
— Rik Sharma (@riksharma_) January 18, 2014
Spanish penalty #LFC
— Ian Watson (@IanWatson1) January 18, 2014
"Spanish penalty." Would rather see a "Scottish League Two" penalty, where his leg snapped and he has to work in an ice-cream van afterwards
— Callum Hamilton (@Callum_TH) January 18, 2014
Certainly a dive from Suarez. Albeit a very canny one.
— gunnerblog (@gunnerblog) January 18, 2014
7 – Since the start of last season, Luis Suarez has won seven penalties – four more than any other Premier League player. Tricky.
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 18, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- An amazing stat comparing Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s recent winning record v Aston VillaAugust 23, 2016
- Derby v Aston Villa: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-08-20August 15, 2016
- Former Aston Villa star Dalian Atkinson dies at the age of 48 after being tasered by policeAugust 15, 2016
- Jack Grealish scores a solo goal as Aston Villa beat Rotherham 3-0 (Videos)August 14, 2016
- Liverpool fans react to news that Mamadou Sakho is being forced out the club [Tweets]August 30, 2016
- Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho told to find a new club before the window shuts [Mail]August 30, 2016
- Liverpool fans love Jamie Carragher’s comment on Daniel Sturridge Instagram postAugust 30, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund reject Liverpool’s £11m bid for Christian Pulisic, loan move possible [ESPN]August 29, 2016
- Arda Turan denied Luis Suarez an easy tap-in so the striker made sure to return the favour (Video)August 29, 2016
- Luis Suarez bags a hat-trick as Barcelona crush Betis 6-2 (Official video)August 20, 2016
- Luis Suarez scores Barcelona team goal from Arda Turan assist v Sevilla (Videos)August 14, 2016
- Barcelona’s Leo Messi bags amazing overhead kick assist for Luis Suarez v Sampdoria (Video)August 10, 2016