- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
Pique (Barcelona) & Arbeloa (Real Madrid) share frank exchange of views after Finland goal
For many years, over the period where Spain have won 2 Euros and a World Cup, we were told that La Furia Roja may have an Achilles heel.
This one supposed weakness was thought to be the reliance on so many Barcelona and Real Madrid players. Surely, the endless El Clasicos and ongoing rivalry that dominates La Liga, if not the whole planet, would surface when the Spain national team play.
Up until Friday night, it is fair to say this never surfaced publicly and the friendship between Iker Casillas and Xavi, as well as the seemingly endless silverware, is proof that all was right in Vicente del Bosque’s squad.
However, after Finland scored a late equaliser against Spain in World Cup qualifying, putting in doubt the holders’ even making it to Brazil 2016, Gerard Pique and Alvaro Arbeloa conducted a very frank exchange of views on the pitch at Estadio Municipal El Molinón in Gijon.
The Catalan press have pinpointed Arbeloa as one of the players Barcelona beleive to be very harsh on Lionel Messi in recent El Clasicos and this may have something to do with Pique’s outburst.
- Updated: March 23, 2013