Phillip Lahm’s terrific tackle on Jesus Navas during Bayern Munich win at Man City [GIF]
“It was startling to see the Ivorian [Yaya Toure] so obviously uncomfortable, lurching sideways in search of the ball, repeatedly harried in possession and outmanoeuvred by Philipp Lahm, who was again exceptional in his converted central role.” – Barney Ronay in an excellent piece on Bayern Munich’s midfield at Manchester City.
Above are two of the more intriguing comments on Phillip Lahm’s performance for Bayern Munich at the Etihad on Wednesday evening.
Followers of Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga will know full well that Lahm has been playing in a midfield role all season under Pep Guardiola, excelling just as he has been at full back for years now.
It will be interesting how Pep rotates when Thiago Alcantara, Mario Gotze and Javi Martinez all return from injury but Lahm looks to have played himself into a regular starting position at the base of the midfield.
The GIF of Lahm’s perfect tackle on Jesus Navas has been doing the rounds in the aftermath of the Champions League match.
In truth, it shows Lahm at his best in a similar role to one he would have been employing at left back… Still, Jesus Navas is no slouch!
Watch Live Stream
- Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti explains why he doesn’t care that Xabi Alonso is slow (Video)October 21, 2016
- Jerome Boateng couldn’t eat for two days after Bayern’s Champions League final loss to ChelseaOctober 19, 2016
- Skills: Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery humiliated by a fan (Video)October 13, 2016
- Bayern Munich stars dominate 2016 Golden Boy votes [France Football]October 13, 2016
- Philipp Lahm is looking forward to watching Germany with a beer (Video)May 28, 2016
- Respect: Bayern captain Philipp Lahm forced Pep Guardiola to lift the DFB Pokal trophy (Video)May 21, 2016
- Philipp Lahm talks Bayern Munich and Pep Guardiola with former Liverpool star Jamie Carragher [Daily Mail]May 20, 2016
- Philipp Lahm gets Bayern fans to stop singing insulting chant about Dortmund (Video)May 16, 2016