Phil Brown orders Hull to have their halftime break on the pitch
- December 27, 2008
Having seen his side capitulate during the first half at the City of Manchester stadium, Phil Brown took the unusual step of forcing his Hull side to have their halftime team-talk on the turf in front of their fans in an incredible scene on Boxing Day.
After 45 minutes the match was effectively over after a brace apiece from Felipe Caicedo and Robinho had given Mark Hughes’ side a 4-nil lead at the interval. Embarrassed and showing empathy for the travelling Hull fans, manager Brown reacted by leading his Tigers towards their own support at the break, ordering his troops to sit down in front of their own, while the man in charge began his public finger-wagging and shouting exercise.
Brown explained his actions after the game: “I thought it was nice and cold and I thought I would keep the boys alive because they looked as if they were dead. Let’s not read too much into it but I think 3,500-4,000 travelling fans deserved some kind of explanation for the first-half performance and it was difficult for me to do that from the confines of a changing room.”
The incident can be seen on this video.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...