- Rant! Jamie Carragher claims Liverpool are “mentally & physically weak” after 3-1 loss [Video]
- Rodgers Out? Liverpool boss compared to David Moyes at Man United last season [Stats & Graphic]
- LOLZ! Brad Jones fell asleep on the Liverpool bench during 3-1 loss at Crystal Palace [Vine]
- Liverpool fans blast Gerrard, Lovren & Rodgers after 3-1 loss to Crystal Palace [Best Tweets]
- Hull City v Tottenham [Team Sheets]
Petr Cech warns Jose Mourinho that he doesn’t want to be Number 2 behind Courtois [Mirror]
With Jose Mourinho managing to convince Thibaut Courtois to come back to Chelsea this summer, it looks as though long-time Number 1 Petr Cech is set to be relegated to Number 2.
But the Czech isn’t prepared to simply accept this as the new status quo, and as far as he’s concerned, it’s a 50-50 battle until the season starts, as revealed by quotes via the Mirror.
“I don’t want to be on the bench. This is why I am trying to do everything to be in the team.
“I don’t want to talk about ifs and buts. Let’s see how I am going and what happens.
“You know I always give my best and obviously that is all I can do. I will do my best and do everything I can do to be as ready as possible for when the season starts.
“Obviously Jose Mourinho will make his choice and decide how his team is going to look for the first game, second game, third game, whatever game.
“It is up to us players to show we are ready to play and make him pick us. I am not any different. I am doing everything I can to make him pick me.”
Though he says nothing about wanting a move away in the event of being confirmed the Chelsea sub keeper when the season starts, it’s unlikely Cech will be prepared to accept the role; at 32, he’s still at the peak of his powers and could well look elsewhere for a new Number 1 role.
- Updated: July 24, 2014