Petr Cech warns Jose Mourinho that he doesn’t want to be Number 2 behind Courtois [Mirror]
With Jose Mourinho managing to convince Thibaut Courtois to come back to Chelsea this summer, it looks as though long-time Number 1 Petr Cech is set to be relegated to Number 2.
But the Czech isn’t prepared to simply accept this as the new status quo, and as far as he’s concerned, it’s a 50-50 battle until the season starts, as revealed by quotes via the Mirror.
“I don’t want to be on the bench. This is why I am trying to do everything to be in the team.
“I don’t want to talk about ifs and buts. Let’s see how I am going and what happens.
“You know I always give my best and obviously that is all I can do. I will do my best and do everything I can do to be as ready as possible for when the season starts.
“Obviously Jose Mourinho will make his choice and decide how his team is going to look for the first game, second game, third game, whatever game.
“It is up to us players to show we are ready to play and make him pick us. I am not any different. I am doing everything I can to make him pick me.”
Though he says nothing about wanting a move away in the event of being confirmed the Chelsea sub keeper when the season starts, it’s unlikely Cech will be prepared to accept the role; at 32, he’s still at the peak of his powers and could well look elsewhere for a new Number 1 role.
Watch Live Stream
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho rules out third spell at Chelsea (Video)October 21, 2016
- Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho doesn’t come off well in Chelsea man Victor Moses’ ESPN interviewOctober 21, 2016
- Jose Mourinho gives refreshingly frank interview about Chelsea sacking (Video)October 21, 2016
- Diego Forlan reveals Roy Keane’s unflattering description for ChelseaOctober 21, 2016
- Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech makes it into the Guinness World Records [Tweet]October 12, 2016
- Arsenal’s Petr Cech is now selling a knitted version of his helmet as winter fashion (Facebook Video)October 8, 2016
- Arsenal stopper Petr Cech explains why he moved from midfield to goalkeeper (Video)August 24, 2016
- Petr Cech opens up about his crash in the car park after Arsenal 3 – Liverpool 4 (Video)August 18, 2016
- Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois clarifies his comments about wanting to return to SpainOctober 3, 2016
- Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois has the worst save ratio this Premier League season [Graphic]October 1, 2016
- Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois talks openly about wanting to return to Spain [Marca]September 20, 2016
- Chelsea stars Fabregas, Courtois and Begovic try NFL one-handed catch challenge (Video)July 15, 2016