Pepe Reina is going back to Liverpool as Napoli cannot afford him [Sky Italia]
- June 12, 2014
Sky Italia’s inside-man Gianluca Di Marzio is reporting that Pepe Reina is going back to Liverpool.
Whether Reina will start next season at Anfield remains to be seen, but for now it appears that the Spanish keeper’s time at Napoli has come to an end.
Former Liverpool manager, and current Napoli boss, Rafa Benitez has explained:
He’s under contract with Liverpool for two more years, he returns there to compete for the starting spot: we can’t afford his wages. In Serie A we don’t pay wages as high as in the Premier League.
Di Marzio, who is more than often 100% spot on with his information, has taken that to mean that Reina will definitely not be at Napoli next season.
The news is likely going to come as a shock to the goalie, who told Gazzetta dello Sport this week: “There is the possibility to stay at Napoli. It will depend on Liverpool, Napoli and on Reina. I have been really happy at Napoli and I feel loved.”
Reina, 31, spent the 2013-14 campaign on loan at Napoi playing 29 games.
- Zlatan & Neymar move to Man United, Chelsea get confused trying to land Stones (44...
- Sunderland rescue Fabio Borini from Liverpool nightmare in £10 million deal
- Liverpool announce signing of Taiwo Awoniyi, immediately send him on loan to Frankfurt
- Man United target Anthony Martial likes playing FIFA with Liverpool [Tweets]
- Liverpool & Sunderland fans make plenty of jokes on Fabio Borini’s potential...
- Liverpool’s Lazar Markovic presented at Fenerbahce after completing loan move
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...