Pepe Reina is going back to Liverpool as Napoli cannot afford him [Sky Italia]
- June 12, 2014
Sky Italia’s inside-man Gianluca Di Marzio is reporting that Pepe Reina is going back to Liverpool.
Whether Reina will start next season at Anfield remains to be seen, but for now it appears that the Spanish keeper’s time at Napoli has come to an end.
Former Liverpool manager, and current Napoli boss, Rafa Benitez has explained:
He’s under contract with Liverpool for two more years, he returns there to compete for the starting spot: we can’t afford his wages. In Serie A we don’t pay wages as high as in the Premier League.
Di Marzio, who is more than often 100% spot on with his information, has taken that to mean that Reina will definitely not be at Napoli next season.
The news is likely going to come as a shock to the goalie, who told Gazzetta dello Sport this week: “There is the possibility to stay at Napoli. It will depend on Liverpool, Napoli and on Reina. I have been really happy at Napoli and I feel loved.”
Reina, 31, spent the 2013-14 campaign on loan at Napoi playing 29 games.
- Liverpool fans hail James Milner following 2 assists v HJK [Best Tweets]
- HJK Helsinki 0 – Liverpool 2: Divock Origi & Philippe Coutinho scored second...
- Al-Arabi boss Gianfranco Zola opens door to Liverpool reject Mario Balotelli [Gazzetta ...
- Wide Awake Club: 2 hours after leaving Liverpool, Rickie Lambert scores brace for West ...
- I had to leave Liverpool: Rickie Lambert gives 1st interview as a West Brom player (Video)
- Christian Benteke inherits Liverpool Number 9 shirt from Rickie Lambert [Echo]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi