Pepe Reina is going back to Liverpool as Napoli cannot afford him [Sky Italia]
- June 12, 2014
Sky Italia’s inside-man Gianluca Di Marzio is reporting that Pepe Reina is going back to Liverpool.
Whether Reina will start next season at Anfield remains to be seen, but for now it appears that the Spanish keeper’s time at Napoli has come to an end.
Former Liverpool manager, and current Napoli boss, Rafa Benitez has explained:
He’s under contract with Liverpool for two more years, he returns there to compete for the starting spot: we can’t afford his wages. In Serie A we don’t pay wages as high as in the Premier League.
Di Marzio, who is more than often 100% spot on with his information, has taken that to mean that Reina will definitely not be at Napoli next season.
The news is likely going to come as a shock to the goalie, who told Gazzetta dello Sport this week: “There is the possibility to stay at Napoli. It will depend on Liverpool, Napoli and on Reina. I have been really happy at Napoli and I feel loved.”
Reina, 31, spent the 2013-14 campaign on loan at Napoi playing 29 games.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...