Pep Guardiola’s “False full backs” – Alaba & Lahm played in midfield v Man United
- April 10, 2014
Pep Guardiola loves tactical innovation and it was on display in spades during Bayern Munich’s 3-2 win over Manchester United on Wednesday night in the quarter-final Champions League second leg.
For much of the game, when Bayern Munich had the ball, both full backs, Phillip Lahm and David Alaba, were playing central midfield.
The video above via @allas4 shows the tactical tweak in all its glory and it has been used before by Pep Guardiola this season.
Against a side that is going to sit back, with limited wing options, it makes sense for Bayern Munich to use their full backs in as attacking role as possible.
Since Guardiola loved to dominate the ball in the middle of the park, and with Lahm and Alaba comfortable in midfield, this worked a treat.
It should be noted that Manchester United’s opener came from a right wing cross which eventually found their left back to score a wonder goal but Bayern, as always, dominated possession to a massive degree (63%).
Whether Pep would employ “false full backs” against a better side in the semi-finals or final remains to be seen.
Q on Pep's false full backs. Lahm & Alaba in midfield. Will this be a Bayern tactic in the semi-finals against a "better" side?
— 102 Great Goals (@102greatgoals) April 10, 2014
@102greatgoals It won't be there if the opposition team has any wing-play. They used it last night because United had no left winger.
— Sarthak Dev (@sarthakdev) April 10, 2014
@102greatgoals nope, was only used as United didn't play proper wingers, against Chelsea or Real it's a counter attack waiting to happen
— Chris Parker (@ChrisRParker) April 10, 2014
- Man United’s pursuit of Bayern’s Schweinsteiger looks like it’s dead ...
- Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery is considering retirement due to ankle problem
- Bayern Munich set to sign Douglas Costa from Shakhtar for €35m [Sport 1]
- Bayern & Man United considering swap deal of cash plus Bastian Schweinsteiger for ...
- Bayern boss Pep Guardiola states that he still has huge affection for ex-Barca presiden...
- BBC confirm Man United interest in both Sergio Ramos & Bastian Schweinsteiger
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi