Pep Guardiola’s “False full backs” – Alaba & Lahm played in midfield v Man United
- April 10, 2014
Pep Guardiola loves tactical innovation and it was on display in spades during Bayern Munich’s 3-2 win over Manchester United on Wednesday night in the quarter-final Champions League second leg.
For much of the game, when Bayern Munich had the ball, both full backs, Phillip Lahm and David Alaba, were playing central midfield.
The video above via @allas4 shows the tactical tweak in all its glory and it has been used before by Pep Guardiola this season.
Against a side that is going to sit back, with limited wing options, it makes sense for Bayern Munich to use their full backs in as attacking role as possible.
Since Guardiola loved to dominate the ball in the middle of the park, and with Lahm and Alaba comfortable in midfield, this worked a treat.
It should be noted that Manchester United’s opener came from a right wing cross which eventually found their left back to score a wonder goal but Bayern, as always, dominated possession to a massive degree (63%).
Whether Pep would employ “false full backs” against a better side in the semi-finals or final remains to be seen.
Q on Pep's false full backs. Lahm & Alaba in midfield. Will this be a Bayern tactic in the semi-finals against a "better" side?
— 102 Great Goals (@102greatgoals) April 10, 2014
@102greatgoals It won't be there if the opposition team has any wing-play. They used it last night because United had no left winger.
— Sarthak Dev (@sarthakdev) April 10, 2014
@102greatgoals nope, was only used as United didn't play proper wingers, against Chelsea or Real it's a counter attack waiting to happen
— Chris Parker (@ChrisRParker) April 10, 2014
- Confirmed pots for Thursday’s UCL draw ft. Man United & Arsenal in pot 2 [Gr...
- Paris train hero Alek Skarlatos gets VIP treatment from Bayern Munich squad [Tweet]
- Bayern Munich stars don lederhosen in annual Paulaner photo shoot for Oktoberfest (Video)
- Thomas Muller gave Arturo Vidal a head massage in Bayern Munich training (Video)
- Franck Ribery’s brother Steeven Ribery (19) nets incredible golazo for Bayern Mun...
- Bayern Munich hold talks with the representatives of Man City target Kevin De Bruyne [S...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...