Pep Guardiola’s “False full backs” – Alaba & Lahm played in midfield v Man United
Pep Guardiola loves tactical innovation and it was on display in spades during Bayern Munich’s 3-2 win over Manchester United on Wednesday night in the quarter-final Champions League second leg.
For much of the game, when Bayern Munich had the ball, both full backs, Phillip Lahm and David Alaba, were playing central midfield.
The video above via @allas4 shows the tactical tweak in all its glory and it has been used before by Pep Guardiola this season.
Against a side that is going to sit back, with limited wing options, it makes sense for Bayern Munich to use their full backs in as attacking role as possible.
Since Guardiola loved to dominate the ball in the middle of the park, and with Lahm and Alaba comfortable in midfield, this worked a treat.
It should be noted that Manchester United’s opener came from a right wing cross which eventually found their left back to score a wonder goal but Bayern, as always, dominated possession to a massive degree (63%).
Whether Pep would employ “false full backs” against a better side in the semi-finals or final remains to be seen.
Q on Pep's false full backs. Lahm & Alaba in midfield. Will this be a Bayern tactic in the semi-finals against a "better" side?
— 102 Great Goals (@102greatgoals) April 10, 2014
@102greatgoals It won't be there if the opposition team has any wing-play. They used it last night because United had no left winger.
— Sarthak Dev (@sarthakdev) April 10, 2014
@102greatgoals nope, was only used as United didn't play proper wingers, against Chelsea or Real it's a counter attack waiting to happen
— Chris Parker (@ChrisRParker) April 10, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti explains why he doesn’t care that Xabi Alonso is slow (Video)October 21, 2016
- Jerome Boateng couldn’t eat for two days after Bayern’s Champions League final loss to ChelseaOctober 19, 2016
- Skills: Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery humiliated by a fan (Video)October 13, 2016
- Bayern Munich stars dominate 2016 Golden Boy votes [France Football]October 13, 2016
- Excuse me? Bayern Munich’s David Alaba says Arsenal’s Theo Walcott is his toughest opponent (Video)August 4, 2016
- Ribery & Alaba score as Bayern Munich beat Landshut 3-0 (Video)July 23, 2016
- Real Madrid make a €65m bid for Bayern Munich’s David Alaba [AS]June 30, 2016
- David Alaba’s hilarious sweary answer about Cristiano Ronaldo penalty (Video)June 18, 2016
- Rap Battle: Pep Guardiola vs Jose Mourinho (video)October 25, 2016
- Guardiola locks Man City players in dressing room for 45 minutes after draw against SouthamptonOctober 23, 2016
- Pep Guardiola refuses to blame John Stones after 1-1 draw with Southampton (Video)October 23, 2016
- Pep Guardiola brings up his amazing trophy haul after style of play is questioned (Video)October 22, 2016