Pep Guardiola explains that he left Barça because he could no longer motivate the players [Audi Anual Report]
They may be corporate sponsors of Bayern, but Audi still pulled off a coup by landing a rarefied one-to-one interview with Pep Guardiola.
The Bayern manager revealed some surprisingly self-deprecating details in the interview with Audi Anual Report, admitting to an inability to motivate his players towards the end at Barcelona, hence his irrevocable decision to leave.
The most important quotes from Guardiola’s Audi interview:
‘There were moments of real sadness. When Barcelona lost to Chelsea in the 2012 semi-finals, having been so much better than our rivals, I felt that I couldn’t come back and lift the team up again.’
On Messi pressure: ‘There were a lot of stars in that Barcelona team, just like at Bayern, and only 11 can play.
Every time I left Messi on the bench, there was trouble around Barcelona.’
And on why he ultimately left: ‘If you can no longer motivate your players, as a coach, you know the moment has come to leave’.
Interesting quotes from Pep, but slightly contradictory: on the one hand he says, as everyone would agree, that Barcelona were far superior to Chelsea, and motivation was clearly not the issue; on the other, he says that the defeat confirmed to him that he could no longer motivate the players.
Work that one out.
Watch Live Stream
- Pots revealed for next season’s CL group stage draw ft. Arsenal & Spurs in lower potsMay 29th, 2016
- Barcelona legend Xavi believes that Atletico Madrid will beat Real Madrid (Video)May 28th, 2016
- Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin offers revealing comments when asked about Barcelona interest [Cope]May 27th, 2016
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil is ‘seriously considering’ offers from Bayern & Barcelon...May 27th, 2016
- Man United & Man City to fight it out for £45m rated John Stones [M.E.N]May 25th, 2016
- Eric Cantona insists Man United fans won’t like Jose Mourinho & puts himself forward [...May 24th, 2016
- Pep Guardiola apologised for not winning Champions League in Bayern farewell speech (Video)May 23rd, 2016
- Which team will be better: Pep Guardiola’s Man City or Jose Mourinho’s Man United? (B...May 22nd, 2016