Paul Scholes takes over first team training at Stalybridge Celtic ‘as a favour’
- October 18, 2013
Does anyone in football not respect the legend that is Paul Scholes?
The ex-Manchester United midfielder retired in the summer but this week has been in charge of training at Skrill North club Stalybridge Celtic.
Their manager Jim Harvey left the club last week and Scholes agreed to take over training for the week as long as it didn’t ‘get out.’
“He wanted it kept private and the lads, although they were really excited, were brilliant in not letting it out,” revealed chairman Rob Gorski.
“Paul is going back to work with the United Under-19s but he’s gone back with great memories and everyone’s really appreciated having him around. A truly class guy.”
17 year old Louis Smith who grew up a Manchester United fan said, “He’s a childhood idol so it was a great experience.”
“There’s no-one better to learn from. You learnt so much from him, even in just a week. To get an insight and help from someone like him is invaluable – you can’t put a price on that.”
“And for him to come down and do it for free was a great gesture of goodwill.”
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...