Paolo Di Canio got booed by Newcastle fans at Steve Harper’s testimonial, Sunderland boss blew kisses
- September 11, 2013
Stalwart Newcastle goalie Steve Harper held his testimonial on Wednesday night at St James’ Park, but the atmosphere wasn’t totally joyous.
Harper rallied a group of Newcastle legends to take on an AC Milan legends XI, and the Italians had one famous import: Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio.
Di Canio got a brutal reaction from the Geordies as he emerged from the tunnel before the kick-off.
As the stadium announcer shouted out Di Canio’s name, the Sunderland gaffer emerged onto the pitch amid a chorus of loud boos.
Di Canio’s reaction was to his credit, as the maverick manager reacted to the boos by blowing kisses to the Newcastle fans.
Later in the game Di Canio was on the receiving end of a tough tackle from behind from Newcastle player for the night, Joey Barton.
Footage of Paolo Di Canio’s entrance at Steve Harper’s testimonial, together with the image of Barton kicking the Italian, can be seen below.
- Newcastle v Borussia Monchengladbach: Watch a Live Stream of the pre-season friendly
- Revealed: Newcastle officially unveil their new Puma away kit for 2015-16 [Pictures]
- Newcastle’s Haris Vuckic scores a solo goal of the season contender v Ajax (Video)
- Sheffield United 2 – Newcastle 2: Georginio Wijnaldum scores for the 2nd game run...
- Rolando Aarons posts Instagram video of his two golazos for Newcastle United (Video)
- Aleksandar Mitrović confirms Newcastle signing of Anderlecht teammate Chancel Mbemba [HNB]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi