Paolo Di Canio got booed by Newcastle fans at Steve Harper’s testimonial, Sunderland boss blew kisses
- September 11, 2013
Stalwart Newcastle goalie Steve Harper held his testimonial on Wednesday night at St James’ Park, but the atmosphere wasn’t totally joyous.
Harper rallied a group of Newcastle legends to take on an AC Milan legends XI, and the Italians had one famous import: Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio.
Di Canio got a brutal reaction from the Geordies as he emerged from the tunnel before the kick-off.
As the stadium announcer shouted out Di Canio’s name, the Sunderland gaffer emerged onto the pitch amid a chorus of loud boos.
Di Canio’s reaction was to his credit, as the maverick manager reacted to the boos by blowing kisses to the Newcastle fans.
Later in the game Di Canio was on the receiving end of a tough tackle from behind from Newcastle player for the night, Joey Barton.
Footage of Paolo Di Canio’s entrance at Steve Harper’s testimonial, together with the image of Barton kicking the Italian, can be seen below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...