Paolo Di Canio got booed by Newcastle fans at Steve Harper’s testimonial, Sunderland boss blew kisses
- September 11, 2013
Stalwart Newcastle goalie Steve Harper held his testimonial on Wednesday night at St James’ Park, but the atmosphere wasn’t totally joyous.
Harper rallied a group of Newcastle legends to take on an AC Milan legends XI, and the Italians had one famous import: Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio.
Di Canio got a brutal reaction from the Geordies as he emerged from the tunnel before the kick-off.
As the stadium announcer shouted out Di Canio’s name, the Sunderland gaffer emerged onto the pitch amid a chorus of loud boos.
Di Canio’s reaction was to his credit, as the maverick manager reacted to the boos by blowing kisses to the Newcastle fans.
Later in the game Di Canio was on the receiving end of a tough tackle from behind from Newcastle player for the night, Joey Barton.
Footage of Paolo Di Canio’s entrance at Steve Harper’s testimonial, together with the image of Barton kicking the Italian, can be seen below.
- Newcastle v Arsenal: Watch a Live Stream of the Premier League match
- Florian Thauvin scored a quality volley for Newcastle v Northampton (vine video)
- Newcastle legend Alan Shearer jokes that Man United fans still sing about him (Tweet ...
- Man United’s Juan Mata admits to being “enraged” in weekly blog after...
- Man United’s mascot didn’t want to shake hands with the officials or Newcas...
- Schweinsteiger Starts: Manchester United v Newcastle [Team Sheets]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...