Paolo Di Canio got booed by Newcastle fans at Steve Harper’s testimonial, Sunderland boss blew kisses
- September 11, 2013
Stalwart Newcastle goalie Steve Harper held his testimonial on Wednesday night at St James’ Park, but the atmosphere wasn’t totally joyous.
Harper rallied a group of Newcastle legends to take on an AC Milan legends XI, and the Italians had one famous import: Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio.
Di Canio got a brutal reaction from the Geordies as he emerged from the tunnel before the kick-off.
As the stadium announcer shouted out Di Canio’s name, the Sunderland gaffer emerged onto the pitch amid a chorus of loud boos.
Di Canio’s reaction was to his credit, as the maverick manager reacted to the boos by blowing kisses to the Newcastle fans.
Later in the game Di Canio was on the receiving end of a tough tackle from behind from Newcastle player for the night, Joey Barton.
Footage of Paolo Di Canio’s entrance at Steve Harper’s testimonial, together with the image of Barton kicking the Italian, can be seen below.
- Newcastle close in on signing PSV’s Georginio Wijnaldum [Chronicle & De Tele...
- Liverpool lead the race for Newcastle’s Moussa Sissoko [L’Equipe]
- Newcastle fight the Black Cats to sign Chelsea’s Marco van Ginkel on loan [Voetba...
- Newcastle favourites to sign Wolfsburg striker Bas Dost [Voetbal International]
- Newcastle officially launch 3rd kit for 15-16 season; Looks similar to PSG [Pictures]
- Deal Done: Charlie Austin set to become Steve McClaren’s first Newcastle signing ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi