- DONE DEAL! Atletico Madrid announce the signing of Fernando Torres [Tweets]
- Exclusive Offer! Back Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling to score anytime v Swansea at 5/1!!!
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic tipped to leave PSG to finish his career at AS Roma [Aftonbladet]
- The next stops on Martin Ødegaard’s European tour are Manchesters United & City [VG]
- Chelsea had got of four yellows for simulation, double than any other EPL club this season [Graphic]
Paolo Di Canio got booed by Newcastle fans at Steve Harper’s testimonial, Sunderland boss blew kisses
Stalwart Newcastle goalie Steve Harper held his testimonial on Wednesday night at St James’ Park, but the atmosphere wasn’t totally joyous.
Harper rallied a group of Newcastle legends to take on an AC Milan legends XI, and the Italians had one famous import: Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio.
Di Canio got a brutal reaction from the Geordies as he emerged from the tunnel before the kick-off.
As the stadium announcer shouted out Di Canio’s name, the Sunderland gaffer emerged onto the pitch amid a chorus of loud boos.
Di Canio’s reaction was to his credit, as the maverick manager reacted to the boos by blowing kisses to the Newcastle fans.
Later in the game Di Canio was on the receiving end of a tough tackle from behind from Newcastle player for the night, Joey Barton.
Footage of Paolo Di Canio’s entrance at Steve Harper’s testimonial, together with the image of Barton kicking the Italian, can be seen below.
- Updated: September 11, 2013