Paolo Di Canio sacked, Sunderland line up Roberto Di Matteo
- September 22, 2013
UPDATE: On Sunday evening, Sunderland announced they had fired Paolo Di Canio.
This article was written a couple of hours before the announcement.
Respected Sky Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio has come out with some news that will unlikely surprise anyone in English football, this Sunday evening.
Paolo Di Canio is set to be given the sack at Sunderland within the next 24 hours and could well be replaced by fellow Italian Roberto Di Matteo.
Di Marzio is one of the best connected journalists in Europe and had an outstanding track record during the summer months with transfer all across the continent.
Di Canio appeared to be out of his depth at West Brom on Saturday, as Stephane Sessegnon set the Baggies on their way to a 3-0 win.
After the match, the Sunderland boss went to the away fans in one of the most bizarre moves seen in the Premier League for some time – see video below.
Sunderland have claimed just one point so far this season and despite Di Canio guiding them away from relegation in 2012/2013, an announcement is now expected in the next day or so, according to Sky Italia.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...