Paolo Di Canio sacked, Sunderland line up Roberto Di Matteo
- September 22, 2013
UPDATE: On Sunday evening, Sunderland announced they had fired Paolo Di Canio.
This article was written a couple of hours before the announcement.
Respected Sky Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio has come out with some news that will unlikely surprise anyone in English football, this Sunday evening.
Paolo Di Canio is set to be given the sack at Sunderland within the next 24 hours and could well be replaced by fellow Italian Roberto Di Matteo.
Di Marzio is one of the best connected journalists in Europe and had an outstanding track record during the summer months with transfer all across the continent.
Di Canio appeared to be out of his depth at West Brom on Saturday, as Stephane Sessegnon set the Baggies on their way to a 3-0 win.
After the match, the Sunderland boss went to the away fans in one of the most bizarre moves seen in the Premier League for some time – see video below.
Sunderland have claimed just one point so far this season and despite Di Canio guiding them away from relegation in 2012/2013, an announcement is now expected in the next day or so, according to Sky Italia.
- Sunderland’s Adam Johnson on difficult start to the season, doesn’t want to...
- Ray Wilkins, Avram Grant and Shay Given discuss Paolo Di Canio’s departure from S...
- Alan Shearer surprised by Paolo Di Canio sacking
- MOTD3 pundits Alan Shearer, Kevin Kilbane and Michael Owen discuss the sacking of Paolo...
- ESPN: Di Canio dumped by Sunderland
- WTAF! Paolo Di Canio goes over to angry Sunderland fans after West Brom defeat
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...