Ouch! This is how Shane Smeltz’s face looks after a New Caledonia boot to the face
- March 24, 2013
We wondered on Friday just how referee Strebre Delovski did not award a penalty for an absolutely crazy challenge on New Zealand striker Shane Smeltz in the final few seconds of the 2-1 win over New Caledonia.
To recap, New Zealand were pushing for a late winner against New Caledonia, which they would eventually secure on 94 through Ipswich Town’s Tommy Smith, when Shane Smeltz was caught in the face with a shocking challenge.
Smeltz was unable to continue and the officials somehow awarded a goal kick to New Caledonia.
Today, Smeltz has described his horror at the New Caledonia challenge in an article for The Telegraph in Australia.
Smeltz: “My head throbbed in bed on Friday night and my forehead was swollen. The shock at Australian referee Strebre Delovski’s decision not to award a penalty or a red card for the terrible challenge has been widespread, so I won’t use my column to rant and rave. Ironically, A-League players voted a week ago on who we thought was the referee of the year and my vote went to Delovski.”
The Perth Glory striker has also Tweeted a picture of his battered face, see below. Followed by a video of the New Caledonia challenge.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi