- Watch Lionel Messi watch his Barcelona tribute for becoming La Liga top goal scorer
- AC Milan v Inter Milan: Watch a live stream of the Derby della Madonnina – available in UK
- Liverpool linked to £10m bid for Norwich’s Nathan Redmond in the Sunday Star [Picture]
- Superfan Claude doesn’t think Gunners will make top 4 after Man United loss [Arsenal Fan TV]
- Mario Balotelli turns up at the boxing, surely out of Crystal Palace v Liverpool
Ouch! This is how Shane Smeltz’s face looks after a New Caledonia boot to the face
We wondered on Friday just how referee Strebre Delovski did not award a penalty for an absolutely crazy challenge on New Zealand striker Shane Smeltz in the final few seconds of the 2-1 win over New Caledonia.
To recap, New Zealand were pushing for a late winner against New Caledonia, which they would eventually secure on 94 through Ipswich Town’s Tommy Smith, when Shane Smeltz was caught in the face with a shocking challenge.
Smeltz was unable to continue and the officials somehow awarded a goal kick to New Caledonia.
Today, Smeltz has described his horror at the New Caledonia challenge in an article for The Telegraph in Australia.
Smeltz: “My head throbbed in bed on Friday night and my forehead was swollen. The shock at Australian referee Strebre Delovski’s decision not to award a penalty or a red card for the terrible challenge has been widespread, so I won’t use my column to rant and rave. Ironically, A-League players voted a week ago on who we thought was the referee of the year and my vote went to Delovski.”
The Perth Glory striker has also Tweeted a picture of his battered face, see below. Followed by a video of the New Caledonia challenge.
- Updated: March 24, 2013