Ouch! This is how Shane Smeltz’s face looks after a New Caledonia boot to the face
- March 24, 2013
We wondered on Friday just how referee Strebre Delovski did not award a penalty for an absolutely crazy challenge on New Zealand striker Shane Smeltz in the final few seconds of the 2-1 win over New Caledonia.
To recap, New Zealand were pushing for a late winner against New Caledonia, which they would eventually secure on 94 through Ipswich Town’s Tommy Smith, when Shane Smeltz was caught in the face with a shocking challenge.
Smeltz was unable to continue and the officials somehow awarded a goal kick to New Caledonia.
Today, Smeltz has described his horror at the New Caledonia challenge in an article for The Telegraph in Australia.
Smeltz: “My head throbbed in bed on Friday night and my forehead was swollen. The shock at Australian referee Strebre Delovski’s decision not to award a penalty or a red card for the terrible challenge has been widespread, so I won’t use my column to rant and rave. Ironically, A-League players voted a week ago on who we thought was the referee of the year and my vote went to Delovski.”
The Perth Glory striker has also Tweeted a picture of his battered face, see below. Followed by a video of the New Caledonia challenge.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...