On Rooney’s Man United deal, Arsenal hero Ian Wright says 30 years ago he was on £100-a-week at Crystal Palace
- February 25, 2014
How times have changed…
Arsenal hero Ian Wright was on the BBC”s 606 programme over the weekend when the topic of Wayne Rooney’s new £300,000-a-week contract at Manchester United came up in conversation.
Without begrudging Rooney’s mega-deal at Man United, Wright revealed just how different wages are in modern football by disclosing the terms of his first pay-packet when he joined Crystal Palace in 1985.
Ian Wright revealed that before he joined the Eagles the ex-England international was getting paid £105-a-week as a plasterer. Incredibly, when he signed on at Selhurst Park he took a £5 pay cut (!) to play professional football as his living.
Watch Arsenal legend Ian Wright talk about what wages were like in football when he started playing below.
- Galatasaray confirm Lukas Podolski will sign contract today, drawing his Arsenal career...
- Hector Bellerin speaks about how he felt when he first heard fans sing his name [Video]
- Arsenal full-back Nacho Monreal shows his patriotic side with Ultimate XI choices [Video]
- Barcelona have beaten Chelsea to signing of €35m Arda Turan [TalkSport]
- Former Arsenal & Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka becomes a player manager in India ...
- Arsenal fans react to Lukas Podolski’s €4m move to Galatasaray [Tweets]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi