On Rooney’s Man United deal, Arsenal hero Ian Wright says 30 years ago he was on £100-a-week at Crystal Palace
How times have changed…
Arsenal hero Ian Wright was on the BBC”s 606 programme over the weekend when the topic of Wayne Rooney’s new £300,000-a-week contract at Manchester United came up in conversation.
Without begrudging Rooney’s mega-deal at Man United, Wright revealed just how different wages are in modern football by disclosing the terms of his first pay-packet when he joined Crystal Palace in 1985.
Ian Wright revealed that before he joined the Eagles the ex-England international was getting paid £105-a-week as a plasterer. Incredibly, when he signed on at Selhurst Park he took a £5 pay cut (!) to play professional football as his living.
Watch Arsenal legend Ian Wright talk about what wages were like in football when he started playing below.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal’s Calum Chambers trolls Jack Wilshere on Instagram ahead of Middlesbrough v BournemouthOctober 28, 2016
- Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas celebrates his glorious career & his days at Arsenal [Instagram]October 28, 2016
- Arsene Wenger gives injury updates, worrying Theo Walcott newsOctober 28, 2016
- Hector Bellerin admits he’s not as good as CatinhoOctober 28, 2016
- Crystal Palace’s good & bad injury news v LiverpoolOctober 28, 2016
- Crystal Palace v Liverpool: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 28, 2016
- Liverpool’s predicted line-up for the Crystal Palace match (Videos)October 27, 2016
- Crystal Palace will pay their respects to Harry Davies v Liverpool this weekend [Tweets]October 25, 2016
- The FA Cup tweet Man United over intentional oversight in 2016/17 club photoOctober 28, 2016
- Man United target Roma’s Antonio Rudiger but are considering selling 4 defenders [Mail]October 28, 2016
- Luke Shaw has trust issues with Jose Mourinho [Independent]October 28, 2016
- Steven Gerrard’s Liverpool return may trigger Wayne Rooney’s Man United exit [Sun]October 28, 2016