On Rooney’s Man United deal, Arsenal hero Ian Wright says 30 years ago he was on £100-a-week at Crystal Palace
How times have changed…
Arsenal hero Ian Wright was on the BBC”s 606 programme over the weekend when the topic of Wayne Rooney’s new £300,000-a-week contract at Manchester United came up in conversation.
Without begrudging Rooney’s mega-deal at Man United, Wright revealed just how different wages are in modern football by disclosing the terms of his first pay-packet when he joined Crystal Palace in 1985.
Ian Wright revealed that before he joined the Eagles the ex-England international was getting paid £105-a-week as a plasterer. Incredibly, when he signed on at Selhurst Park he took a £5 pay cut (!) to play professional football as his living.
Watch Arsenal legend Ian Wright talk about what wages were like in football when he started playing below.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal v Stoke: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsDecember 9, 2016
- Kieran Gibbs destroys Arsenal stars in bottle-flip challenge (Video)December 9, 2016
- Contract Signal? Alexis Sanchez salutes Arsenal’s Invincibles on InstagramDecember 8, 2016
- Times claim Mesut Ozil & Alexis Sanchez may leave Arsenal for freeDecember 8, 2016
- Crystal Palace’s Yohan Cabaye online gaming proves he’s still a Newcastle fan (Video)December 4, 2016
- Pape Souare talks about car crash, admits his career is ‘in God’s hands’ [BBC Audio]December 1, 2016
- Alan Pardew is demanding a massive pay-off from Crystal Palace [Times]December 1, 2016
- Man United & Crystal Palace supremos join Gary Lineker & Max Branning from Eastenders on a night outNovember 30, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s brilliant gesture in Zorya when the cameras weren’t lookingDecember 9, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic makes fun of a journalist’s question after the Zorya game (Video)December 9, 2016
- In-depth Fantasy Football previews: Man United v Spurs & how to replace AgueroDecember 9, 2016
- Man United star selected for the Europa League player of the weekDecember 9, 2016