On Rooney’s Man United deal, Arsenal hero Ian Wright says 30 years ago he was on £100-a-week at Crystal Palace
- February 25, 2014
How times have changed…
Arsenal hero Ian Wright was on the BBC”s 606 programme over the weekend when the topic of Wayne Rooney’s new £300,000-a-week contract at Manchester United came up in conversation.
Without begrudging Rooney’s mega-deal at Man United, Wright revealed just how different wages are in modern football by disclosing the terms of his first pay-packet when he joined Crystal Palace in 1985.
Ian Wright revealed that before he joined the Eagles the ex-England international was getting paid £105-a-week as a plasterer. Incredibly, when he signed on at Selhurst Park he took a £5 pay cut (!) to play professional football as his living.
Watch Arsenal legend Ian Wright talk about what wages were like in football when he started playing below.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]