On Rooney’s Man United deal, Arsenal hero Ian Wright says 30 years ago he was on £100-a-week at Crystal Palace
How times have changed…
Arsenal hero Ian Wright was on the BBC”s 606 programme over the weekend when the topic of Wayne Rooney’s new £300,000-a-week contract at Manchester United came up in conversation.
Without begrudging Rooney’s mega-deal at Man United, Wright revealed just how different wages are in modern football by disclosing the terms of his first pay-packet when he joined Crystal Palace in 1985.
Ian Wright revealed that before he joined the Eagles the ex-England international was getting paid £105-a-week as a plasterer. Incredibly, when he signed on at Selhurst Park he took a £5 pay cut (!) to play professional football as his living.
Watch Arsenal legend Ian Wright talk about what wages were like in football when he started playing below.
Watch Live Stream
- Pots revealed for next season’s CL group stage draw ft. Arsenal & Spurs in lower potsMay 29th, 2016
- N’Golo Kante happy at Leicester ‘for now’, Arsenal continue to be linked [LR...May 28th, 2016
- Arsenal or Man United? Gabon coach confirms Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang exitMay 28th, 2016
- Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin offers revealing comments when asked about Barcelona interest [Cope]May 27th, 2016
- Match-winner Jesse Lingard interviewed after Man United win FA Cup final (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Official highlights & trophy celebrations from Man United 2 – Crystal Palace 1 (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Wayne Rooney on winning the FA Cup with Manchester United (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Alan Pardew panned mercilessly for dad dance as Palace lose to Man United (Tweets & Video)May 21st, 2016
- Man United’s Morgan Schneiderlin posts positive message after leaving France Euro 2016 squadMay 29th, 2016
- Marcus Rashford signs new Manchester United contract [Telegraph]May 29th, 2016
- Radja Nainggolan rejects Chelsea, open to Man United move [GDS]May 29th, 2016
- New Man United boss Jose Mourinho not keen on Zlatan Ibrahimovic [Sunday Times]May 29th, 2016