Oliver Bierhoff regrets that the German crowd booed Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil v Chile [Individual highlights]
- March 6, 2014
Germany beat Chile 1-0 on Wednesday night but the result left few Germans happy.
Nationelf manager Jogi Loew was repeatedly filmed on the sidelines remonstrating and looking demoralised as the Chileans put up a superb performance against the underwhelming hosts, however the German player who received the worst public approval rating was Mesut Ozil.
Arsenal’s £42m summer signing was subbed in the 89th minute, and as the Gunner exited the pitch he was showered with a chorus of boos from the home fans.
The negativity aimed in Ozil’s direction came after a week in which German publications Kicker and Bild questioned whether the Arsenal playmaker is the right man to lead the Nationelf at the World Cup.
Following the match general manager of the Germany national team Oliver Bierhoff reacted to the boos aimed in Ozil’s direction saying:
At the present time, and with the score (being 1-0 Germany) I did not understand the whistles (aimed at Ozil). I find it a pity that such a player like Mesut is singled out.
For the record, Mesut Ozil claimed the assist for Mario Gotze’s winner against the Chileans.
See Mesut Ozil’s individual highlights against Chile below.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...