- English Democrat Paul Rimmer says ‘Liverpool have been cursed by God for sponsoring Gay Pride’
- Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers: ‘Raheem Sterling is the same type of striker as Alexis Sanchez’
- Alan Shearer pays tribute to Thierry Henry: ‘One hell of a player, and a really nice guy’ [Video]
- Man Utd boss Louis van Gaal the butt of a very Dutch joke at awards show – he doesn’t like it! [Video]
- Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti on possible Jan signings: ‘I like Christoph Kramer a lot’ [Video]
Oliver Bierhoff regrets that the German crowd booed Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil v Chile [Individual highlights]
Germany beat Chile 1-0 on Wednesday night but the result left few Germans happy.
Nationelf manager Jogi Loew was repeatedly filmed on the sidelines remonstrating and looking demoralised as the Chileans put up a superb performance against the underwhelming hosts, however the German player who received the worst public approval rating was Mesut Ozil.
Arsenal’s £42m summer signing was subbed in the 89th minute, and as the Gunner exited the pitch he was showered with a chorus of boos from the home fans.
The negativity aimed in Ozil’s direction came after a week in which German publications Kicker and Bild questioned whether the Arsenal playmaker is the right man to lead the Nationelf at the World Cup.
Following the match general manager of the Germany national team Oliver Bierhoff reacted to the boos aimed in Ozil’s direction saying:
At the present time, and with the score (being 1-0 Germany) I did not understand the whistles (aimed at Ozil). I find it a pity that such a player like Mesut is singled out.
For the record, Mesut Ozil claimed the assist for Mario Gotze’s winner against the Chileans.
See Mesut Ozil’s individual highlights against Chile below.
- Updated: March 6, 2014