Oh Really?! Journo ‘Geoff Shreeves’ Mick McCarthy by reminding him he had a falling out with Roy Keane at World Cup 2002
The trauma of the Saipan affair will haunt Mick McCarty for the rest of his days; 11 years on it follows him like a dark shadow.
Indeed, in his book he even details how it caused him nightmares; suffice to say much as it’s now water under the bridge, he will never forget it.
So he justifiably looked pretty askance at a tactless journo today who thought it apt to quiz him on Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane taking over as the new Ireland management team.
Seeing his interlocutor wasn’t for turning, he probed further by dragging up the past, as McCarthy looked increasingly baffled by the journo’s desperation for copy.
Then came the doozy: just in case McCarthy had forgotten, he reminded him of Saipan!
‘You had a falling out with Roy Keane at the 2002 World Cup’, to which McCarthy sarcastically replied, ‘Oh really! Did I? When was that, was I asleep?!’
Watch the cringeworthy Geoff Shreevesesque journalistic probing on the clip below.
[gthumb id=”373599″ size=”large” autoplay=”1″]
- Robbie Keane sings, Shane Long plays the guitar as Ireland’s players celebrate in a Dublin ...
- Bosnian fan who shouted ‘Palestine, Palestine’ during minute’s silence v Irelan...
- Irish fan had to ask James McClean to get out of way to see Jon Walters’s penalty v Bosnia ...
- Ireland’s Euro 2016 hopes v Bosnia benefit from major price hikes [Promo]
- Watch Rockmount, the short film about Man United legend Roy Keane’s youth career (Video)
- Roy Keane cracks a joke about Saipan after Ireland qualify for Euro 2016 (Video)
- Does Rory McIlroy have beef with Roy Keane? (Video)
- Still Got It: Roy Keane plucks ball out of the air like a baseball glove at Ireland training (Video)