- Arsenal fan lays into Olivier Giroud for ‘brainless’ sending off v QPR [Video]
- Neymar: I don’t know if I’ll ever be as good as Ronaldo or Messi [Globo]
- Arsene Wenger: ‘Alexis Sanchez has so much self-confidence that sometimes he’s too individual’ [Video]
- Chelsea accused of diving again! Big Sam: Ivanovic went looking for a penalty [Video]
- Arsenal’s Flamini & Rosicky: ‘QPR penalty was harsh, but we forgive ref – it’s Christmas’ [Video]
Official: French striker Yaya Sanogo joins Arsenal on a free transfer from Auxerre
Another summer, another signing from Arsene Wenger that fails to really stimulate the needs of the Gunners at the moment.
Arsenal have officially announced the signing of Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer from Auxerre “on a long-term contract.”
Arsene Wenger said: “Sanogo is a good young signing for us. He has shown that he has potential with his recent performances for Auxerre and also for the France Under-20 side. We are looking forward to Yaya joining us and continuing his promising development.”
Should Gonzalo Higuain complete his proposed move to the Emirates, then the North Londoners will have unquestionably acquired a top class striker who can carry them towards the next level. That would be hugely beneficial as, because however promising Sanogo is, he is person at the moment to do it.
Sanogo came through the ranks at Auxerre and scored nine goals in 11 appearances for the Ligue 2 side in 2012/2013. The 20-year-old, 6.3ft striker has also impressed for France at youth level, scoring twice at the U20 World Cup last month.
But Sanogo is raw. Moreover, is he any better than the last year’s diamond in the rough signing Joel Campbell?
Whilst Sanogo has a big reputation, some doubt whether it’s wholeheartedly deserved. The striker has already been hit with injuries since he burst onto the scene with Auxerre in 2010, and he could be doomed to become a sicknote.
Moreover, Sanogo has played much of his football with Auxerre in the 2nd division club. Can he really make the step up to the big leagues?
Recent footage of Sanogio’s individual highlights against Ghana and Spain at the U20 World Cup can be seen below.
- Updated: July 1, 2013