Official: French striker Yaya Sanogo joins Arsenal on a free transfer from Auxerre
- July 1, 2013
Another summer, another signing from Arsene Wenger that fails to really stimulate the needs of the Gunners at the moment.
Arsenal have officially announced the signing of Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer from Auxerre “on a long-term contract.”
Arsene Wenger said: “Sanogo is a good young signing for us. He has shown that he has potential with his recent performances for Auxerre and also for the France Under-20 side. We are looking forward to Yaya joining us and continuing his promising development.”
Should Gonzalo Higuain complete his proposed move to the Emirates, then the North Londoners will have unquestionably acquired a top class striker who can carry them towards the next level. That would be hugely beneficial as, because however promising Sanogo is, he is person at the moment to do it.
Sanogo came through the ranks at Auxerre and scored nine goals in 11 appearances for the Ligue 2 side in 2012/2013. The 20-year-old, 6.3ft striker has also impressed for France at youth level, scoring twice at the U20 World Cup last month.
But Sanogo is raw. Moreover, is he any better than the last year’s diamond in the rough signing Joel Campbell?
Whilst Sanogo has a big reputation, some doubt whether it’s wholeheartedly deserved. The striker has already been hit with injuries since he burst onto the scene with Auxerre in 2010, and he could be doomed to become a sicknote.
Moreover, Sanogo has played much of his football with Auxerre in the 2nd division club. Can he really make the step up to the big leagues?
Recent footage of Sanogio’s individual highlights against Ghana and Spain at the U20 World Cup can be seen below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...