- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
Nottingham Forest get pilloried after not signing Posh’s George Boyd due to an eye test
Have you ever heard of a transfer deal failing because a player didn’t pass an eye test?
Amid furious rumours that Alex Mcleish has walked out of the City Ground overnight, Nottingham Forest, one of the great clubs in English football history, have now been rendered a laughing stock after they pulled the plug on signing George Boyd from Peterborough over an eye exam.
The non-signing of Boyd was a fiasco.
After spending all of transfer deadline day at Forest, 27-year-old Boyd and his club Peterborough United were convinced the player would be making the move. However at 9pm UK time the deal were south as Forest’s Kuwaiti owners from the Al-Hasawi family claimed the player had failed an eye test.
Several reasons why this excuse seems bogus.
According to Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony, after canceling the transfer deal for Boyd due to the eye excuse Forest still had the cojones to request the player move to Nottingham on loan. So Boyd’s eyesight prohibited a transfer but not a loan?
Moreover… failing an eye test?! Seriously.
Only a few months ago George Boyd was being lauded for his vision after he scored a wondrous 50-yard golazo against Huddersfield.
Below you can enjoy Boyd’s long ranger golazo from October, while below the fold are a series of comedy pictures which have been made following the transfer fiasco.
- Updated: February 1, 2013