No-show Lionel Messi is slammed after the Barcelona star breaks the heart of a 9-year-old fan
Most people don’t have a bad word to say about Argentinean and Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi, until now.
An angry American dad has turned to Twitter to vent his anger at Messi after the world’s greatest footballer broke the heart of his 9-year-old son.
Tony Sherwood splashed out $5000 to pay for him and his son, Hudson, to meet his idol, but Messi never showed up.
According to dad Tony, Hudson fell in love with Messi when the youngster visited the Nou Camp when he was just five years old. That visit converted young Hudson into a Messi fan, and so six months ago dad Tony bought two tickets at $2,500 apiece to go to Soldier Field in Chicago for the Messi and Friends Tour charity match on July 6.
The father and son were guaranteed a meet-and-greet with Messi, plus autographed jerseys and balls. Those guarantees, though, never materialised.
Along with round 75 other people, 9-year-old Hudson Sherwood was left crushed when Messi never showed up. The paying customers waited two hours before finally being told that the Barcelona star would not be coming.
Dad Tony told reporters:
It was chaos from the beginning. They weren’t prepared. They told us he was coming, told us he was coming, and then five minutes before the match, one of his Spanish-speaking representatives came in and said due to team commitments, he can’t come.
There were tears, disappointment and heartache. [On the way home Hudson said] ‘Dad, next time I get a jersey, I don’t want it to be Messi.’
A report from NBC on how Lionel Messi broke 9-year-old Hudson Sherwood’s heart can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Arda Turan denied Luis Suarez an easy tap-in so the striker made sure to return the favour (Video)August 29, 2016
- Luis Suarez called ref Mateu Lahoz a ‘Clown’ during Barcelona’s 1-0 win at Athletic Bilbao (Video)August 29, 2016
- Barcelona accidentally leak early photo of Paco Alcacer on their websiteAugust 29, 2016
- Barcelona youth team show awesome sportsmanship after beating Japanese side (Video)August 29, 2016
- Diego Maradona suggests that Lionel Messi’s Argentina retirement was a publicity stuntAugust 25, 2016
- Leo Messi wins UEFA’s goal of the season for his golazo v Roma (Official Video)August 25, 2016
- Neymar’s son Davi calls his two new puppies after his favourite Barcelona stars (Video)August 24, 2016
- New Argentina squad includes Leo Messi, Sergio Aguero plus Man United & Spurs menAugust 23, 2016