Nikica Jelavic was lucky not to get sent off for dusting up Javier Chica as Everton beat Betis
- August 11, 2013
If this was a Premier League match Nikica Jelavic would have been sent off.
Everton beat Betis 2-1 on Sunday in Roberto Martinez’s first match in charge of the Toffees at Goodison Park.
Nikica Jelavic gave Everton fans plenty more reason to believe the striker will be in tip-top form during 2013-14 as the Croatian bagged the opener in the first half. It was Jelavic’s fourth goal of pre-season, and another signal that his goalscoring instincts are tuned in for the upcoming campaign.
However not everything Jelavic did was commendable.
The match threatened to turn ugly when Nikica Jelavic was upended by Javier Chica in a rash challenge from behind near the halfway-line. The Everton striker reacted badly to the foul, twice pushing Chica with ever increasing intensity.
Referee Howard Webb stepped in, and rather than pulling for a red card the official handed Jelvaic a verbal ticking off. The Everton forward was fortunate.
Watch Nikica Jelavic dust up Javier Chica below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...