Nikica Jelavic was lucky not to get sent off for dusting up Javier Chica as Everton beat Betis
- August 11, 2013
If this was a Premier League match Nikica Jelavic would have been sent off.
Everton beat Betis 2-1 on Sunday in Roberto Martinez’s first match in charge of the Toffees at Goodison Park.
Nikica Jelavic gave Everton fans plenty more reason to believe the striker will be in tip-top form during 2013-14 as the Croatian bagged the opener in the first half. It was Jelavic’s fourth goal of pre-season, and another signal that his goalscoring instincts are tuned in for the upcoming campaign.
However not everything Jelavic did was commendable.
The match threatened to turn ugly when Nikica Jelavic was upended by Javier Chica in a rash challenge from behind near the halfway-line. The Everton striker reacted badly to the foul, twice pushing Chica with ever increasing intensity.
Referee Howard Webb stepped in, and rather than pulling for a red card the official handed Jelvaic a verbal ticking off. The Everton forward was fortunate.
Watch Nikica Jelavic dust up Javier Chica below.
- Everton have made contact with Napoli winger Dries Mertens [Het Laatste Nieuws]
- MOTD viewers celebrate Phil Neville’s appointment as Valencia assistant manager [...
- Everton starlet Ryan Ledson (17) scored a wonderchip in U21 training [Video]
- Lucas Leiva tries to kick Everton fan out of Liverpool club shop for carrying a blue ba...
- Ex-Everton star Tim Cahill scores bullet header for Shanghai Shenhua [video]
- Everton fans celebrate the imminent signing of Gerard Deulofeu [Best Tweets]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi