Nikica Jelavic was lucky not to get sent off for dusting up Javier Chica as Everton beat Betis
- August 11, 2013
If this was a Premier League match Nikica Jelavic would have been sent off.
Everton beat Betis 2-1 on Sunday in Roberto Martinez’s first match in charge of the Toffees at Goodison Park.
Nikica Jelavic gave Everton fans plenty more reason to believe the striker will be in tip-top form during 2013-14 as the Croatian bagged the opener in the first half. It was Jelavic’s fourth goal of pre-season, and another signal that his goalscoring instincts are tuned in for the upcoming campaign.
However not everything Jelavic did was commendable.
The match threatened to turn ugly when Nikica Jelavic was upended by Javier Chica in a rash challenge from behind near the halfway-line. The Everton striker reacted badly to the foul, twice pushing Chica with ever increasing intensity.
Referee Howard Webb stepped in, and rather than pulling for a red card the official handed Jelvaic a verbal ticking off. The Everton forward was fortunate.
Watch Nikica Jelavic dust up Javier Chica below.
- Aaron Lennon turns that frown upside down after completing move from Spurs to Everton (...
- Everton’s Gerard Deulofeu grabbed a goal & an assist as Spain U21s won (Videos)
- Everton legend Peter Reid praises John Stones for his professionalism (Video)
- Twitter congratulates Aaron Lennon for learning how to smile (Tweets)
- Everton celebrate Aaron Lennon’s signing from Spurs with a YouTube montage
- Watch Ramiro Funes Mori’s first interview as an Everton player (Video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...