- Chelsea’s Fernando Torres locks up Atletico homecoming, loan deal until 2016 [Marca & AS]
- Liverpool & Arsenal target Man City’s James Milner for free this summer [Express]
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says sorry for 19th-century football comment aimed at West Ham
- Mario Balotelli set for Liverpool bench as Sampdoria consider a January swoop [Guardian]
- Adriano announces on Twitter that he’s signed for Ligue 2 club Le Havre
Newcastle’s Hatem Ben Arfa tells France Football he can still win a Ballon d’Or
After playing a starring role in successive Newcastle wins, Hatem Ben Arfa has opened up to France Football in a most revealing interview, published on Tuesday morning.
Goals in successive games against Fulham and Aston Villa have once again restored Ben Arfa to key man status at Newcastle and he makes one outlandish claim in the French magazine.
Ben Arfa: ” “People will think I’m crazy, but I still dream of winning the Ballon d’Or. I’m sure it’s still possible. In 20 or 30 years, I want my name to be mentioned alongside those of Platini, Zidane, Pele or Maradona.”
The Newcastle winger then goes on to discuss his troubled relationship with former Marseille coaches Laurent Blanc and Didier Deschamps: “I regret my behavior and apologize. I let down a lot of people.”
HBA continued: “I was convinced that it would be easy from a young age. I admit that for a long time modesty was not really my thing. I thought my talent was enough to break through and succeed. Since I was little everyone kept telling me I was the best and I believed it. It took time and a bit of intelligence, before I realized that I had lost my way. I was wrong.”
Are we now going to see a changed Hatem Ben Arfa in 2013/2014? Toon fans will certainly hope so.
[gthumb id="354726" size="large" autoplay="1"]
- Updated: September 17, 2013